Treating for unknown parasite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elizae

Aquarium Advice Regular
After long thought and watching my angel, I’ve decided that he needs to be treated for parasites.

I was recommended API general cure, but nowhere near me sells it and it would be a week before it arrived if I ordered it and I fear that that would be too late.

I have cow dewormer recommended for treating callamanus worms, because I had to treat for those a couple years ago. (Found it, it’s called levamisole)

Would this work for what I am assuming flukes, or some other external parasite? Or is there another medication that would be safe for cories and plants.

Or should I risk waiting that week to try and get the recommended medication

Do you have Epsom salt in your house? Non scented Epsom salt is sometimes used for fish. Aquarium salt would be better but again that's if you have it.
Tje majority if not all parasites can't handle salt, you can either add it to your tank or do a salt dip depending on what you have in there with your angelfish.

I have cories, but I know that there is most likely parasites still in the water.

I do not have epsom salt, just kosher,table,and sea salt

I would try a salt bath because I am not confident to include salt in the whole tank. I am just worried in case there is damage to his gills, I would not want to damage them further, plus I do not know how much damage those worms did, albeit it was several years ago.

What kind of parasites?

Levamisole is more for internal parasites and to my knowledge doesn't work on things like flukes. You'd need praziquantel for that.

I do not know. My only symptoms are flashing and thick slime coat.

He still eats and still swims Happily. My only though is maybe body flukes, I see no worms. Just long thick strands of slime coming off.

Water parameters were 0, 0, 30, and then I performed a 50% water change that hopefully brought my nitrates down, but he was not showing nitrate poisoning symptoms so I don’t think it was that. I do have very hard pH and gH, but I raised him in my water so I don’t believe it’s that either. All other aquariums are fine.

I believe I have narrowed it down to columnaris or costia, I'm leaning towards costia.

Conflicting sources say treat with: Salt, Heat, Copper meds, General Cure, Methylene Blue, Paraguard, Malachite Green, No salt, and a thousand other cures.

Stores close very early here so I am looking for as much help as I can as soon as I can, because from what I read, either of those can kill a fish quickly.

Back
Top Bottom