Treating Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benharrison1uk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed some small white spots on my weather loach, and it swims around flicking itself against the gravel in the tank. So I went to the lps to buy some stuff to go in the tank, but when i read the instruction manual it didn't mention anything about dosage, the only thing it did say was "Use half the normal dose when adding to aquariums containing sharks, loaches & other sensitive or light scaled fish", so I don't understand how they expect new people like me to know how much to put in the tank. Does anyone on this site have any idea what the correct amount is? My tank is approx 50 litres (11.1 gallons according to the manual), and the product is called King British Whitespot control.

I would not use any kind of ich meds. Some will destory your bacterial colonies, even if they say they don't. Instead, slowly increase the temp in your tank to 87 degrees. 86 is the temp at which ich will die, but 87 is on the safe side. Keep the temp at that level for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone from the tank. By using the heat method you won't be introducing any meds into the tank that could potentially cause your tank to re-cycle. Also, some fish can be sensitive to meds, as the bottle indicated. But if you are really wanting to use the med, I'm not sure on the dosage since I only use the heat or heat/salt method.

as everyone said, the heat method works great. I have used it multiple times without any problems... (that was before i started quarenteening new fish :? ) the first time i got ich i treated with meds and lost 3 fish and had a minicycle. The next time i treated with Salt and heat and wound up killing all of my laoches because they can't tolerate the salt. So now i have found that it is safe to treat with heat only :mrgreen: Good luck

Take the meds back to the lfs and get your money back and treat with heat. As everyone has mentioned, it works. And definately increase your aeration, if you lower the water level you will get more surface agitation. Of course this treatment works with tropical fish only.

Back
Top Bottom