Treating ich and adding fish URGENT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I have special ordered 8 angelfish of a certain breed (hand picked them) and I was supposed to go pick them up today. Only I see that one of my fish has ich!!! I called and asked if they could hold them longer and they can't, and won't refund me ? so I'm left with either adding the new fish to the tank with (a very mild case of) ich, or attempting to keep 8 smallish angels in a 10g QT while they are treated. I have only noticed the ich on one fish, but since I can see them, the whole tank is probably already infected :-/

I am using heat only to treat, as I have corys and then tank is planted...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So they're in the display tank now? Crank heat up to 86 and leave the lights off to reduce stress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They're not yet I have to pick them up by 5 and it's almost 2...but I don't know what ich will do to new fish...

And I added an extra heater, increasing temp slowly

Can you buy a 10gal? Qt them for a week with salt and heat? Maybe guilt the lfs into a loaner tank?

I have a 10 gallon QT...Problem is my existing fish have ich, and I'm picking up 8 angels. Putting the angels into a 10 gallon sounds terrible, but will I be more at risk putting the new angels in with my fish with mild ich and heat?

Ohhhh. I'm sorry, read that wrong, the angels like quarter size?

Ya...a couple a little bigger though...

I'd qt them separately for a week or so.. few more wc's in your life but better safe than sorry.

I think 8 small angels in a 10g for a week will live. Honestly, most fish can survive in a 10g for a week or two, as long as it's big enough for them to turn around and keep swimming really, and as long as you keep up water changes. Pick up a breeder net.... or four... just in case there's too much bickering.

Ok sounds good. Everything that has ever gone into QT has died so I guess that's why I'm hesitant...will daily or every other day changes stress them too much? I can use filter media from the non ich tank to start up...

Wc's, when performed correctly should result in joyous revile from the inhabitants.. well treated and carefully temp matched water will not stress the fish.. funky tap water and we've got to talk about it..

Lol good times...tap water is pretty hard here but not too bad...and I use prime so that at least temporarily helps...the tank has an internal filter would that matter with delicate angel fins?

Think they're a bit tougher as juvies..fins anyways

Ok that all makes me feel better ...thanks!!

Soooo I haven't treated for ich in a while...and last time I did I didn't have live plants. Heat only so far, but are plants a little more salt tolerant than we hype them up to be? Maybe at like half the dose you would normally for ich?

You can go buy a huge tote with clear sides, it was appx. 3 feet x 1.5 feet. I had one for some fish (some one very unexpectedly gave me a whole tank of fish) which ended up in there for a couple months because we were moving and I didn't want to try to set up the tank 2x.

Your plants might not like the heat. Inverts won't like it either if you have any.

The plants need 3 days away from fish, and the Ich won't survive without a host fish to continue the life cycle, you could put them into a tub/5G bucket.

There are many threads about treating Ich. You can learn a bunch from reviewing old threads too!

Last edited:
I've treated the whole tank before with no problems...just inquiring about salt in a planted tank. I have read many, many threads on the matter, and the jury is out on just a little salt. The plants will be ok at 86 (the ones I have) for 2 weeks. Also no room for a tote, as it would have to be huge to house all the fish comfortably for that long without further stressing them out. I'm just curious what others have done and I like to have a lot of information that both current and discovered by talking with others who have recently been through this.

Thanks for everyone's input!

I've treated the whole tank before with no problems...just inquiring about salt in a planted tank. I have read many, many threads on the matter, and the jury is out on just a little salt. The plants will be ok at 86 (the ones I have) for 2 weeks. Also no room for a tote, as it would have to be huge to house all the fish comfortably for that long without further stressing them out. I'm just curious what others have done and I like to have a lot of information that both current and discovered by talking with others who have recently been through this.

My plants mostly didn't agree with the heat which I did for the two weeks increasing in the beginning, and decreasing at the end the temps 2 degrees per day.

Salt was increased over 2-3 days up to 1 teaspoon per gallon, then upped it to 1 tablespoon per gallon over a few days as the temp leveled out. Just remember to replace the salt you remove.

Then decrease salt as you start reducing temp.

Also remember the higher heat makes it harder for the fish to get oxygen, so adding a good air pump and or reducing the water level a couple inches to add more splash/aeration if you have a hob filter.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll go in and make sure I've got enough surface agitation in there...if not I'll grab an air bubbler tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom