Treating ich with heat and salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im slowly raising the tempature to treat the ich. Should I add salt and how much. Will it affect my frog (( african dwarf frog )) or my shortbodied catfish (( brochis splendens ))

I can research this for you, but its better for you to do like I said research you own critters to find out whether they can handle the heat/salt.
Know thy's critters needs when keeping such critters :wink:

I did the heat treatment without salt in my tank a long time ago and it worked. I think there was a reason I avoided salt...maybe my loaches? But the heat cleared everything up fast.

z.z;; and if thy spend to much time finding out thys critters needs thys other critter will die aswell Z.z

I Have been doing heat, 88F and salt, 1TBLS per 5 gal and I have not seen one spot for 3 days. Going to keep it going for 7 more days just to make 100% sure. Make sure you put a second airstone in as they need more air. Also doing 20% water changes every other day. Fish seem fine. Seems to work great so far.

and if thy spend to much time finding out thys critters needs thys other critter will die aswell
Ok, 15 minutes of searching (anyone die yet?) and reading brings me to these conclusions,
(1)quarantine the ADF in another tank.
(2) raise the temp slowly to 86'f.
(3)keep the temp up for atleast a week after the last sign of ICH has disappeared.
(4)If this is a chronic ICH infestation, then you may want to hold the temp up for up to a month.
(5)Add a airstone or lower the water level below the filter outflow so as to increase water surface agitation and hence increase/maintain oxygen levels.
(6)add a half dose of salt since you have the "Short Bodied" better known as a Emerald Cat (brochis splendens), Cories/Cats have been known to do just fine with lower salinity.
(7)watch all fish closely and maintain the best water parameters possible.

Goodluck.

Airstone..?.. I lowered the tank water level so my filter provides more aeration. Cant buy an airstone. my catfish seemed a little frantic when i first added the salt but they are now acting like usual..

Lowering the water level for increased agitation is just fine. You do not "Need" a airstone, so don't worry about it. Airstones do not actually "Add" oxygen to the water they just look pretty and agitate the surface increasing the rate at which certain gases are exchanged in/out of the water.

Dude.. no fair.. ive been looking for five hours..
Just a matter of putting in different keywords/phrases, searching the right forum/s, knowing which "users" post replies to scan for (e.g. Guppyman for cory info) and remembering reading in a thread about "whatever" until you find the desired info.

Despite the fact everyone around here always recommends the heat & salt method, I do NOT recommend it. Having your tank at 86F is ridiculous and very stressful to fish, even if they "appear fine." Salt is just as ridiculous -- these are called "freshwater" fish for a reason.

Think about it. If heat works fine, why is salt necessary? Or if salt works fine, why is heat necessary? I would never use both at the same time.

I'm a member of the "better living through medications" club. For Ich, I highly recommend a product called RidIch+. It is safe for all fishes -- yes, even scaleless fishes like loaches and Ottos. You'll hear people say "better use it at half-dose if you have loaches!" Incorrect. RidIch+ is ALREADY diluted to half-dose compared to other similar products. I have been through several bouts of Ich and it has always worked without fail; and I have clown loaches, kuhli loaches, Ottos, and other delicate fish who all survive.

When using RidIch+, I also recommend bumping up the heat SLIGHTLY -- 80F at the most. This accelerates Ich's lifecycle. Even if you are sticking with the salt method, I still would not go over 80F, period.

Despite the fact everyone around here always recommends the heat & salt method, I do NOT recommend it.
And your entitled to your opinion, but opinions are like This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.
Having your tank at 86F is ridiculous and very stressful to fish, even if they "appear fine."
Yes, higher than normal temps can be very stressfull to fish, some more than others. Which is why people are asked to research their fish before using heat, raise the temp slowly and to monitor them during the treatment.
Salt is just as ridiculous -- these are called "freshwater" fish for a reason.
Salt is a medication and a very effective one. There are differences in the salts used for treatment and those used for Saltwater Aquaria. Not to mention drastic differences in the levels of salinity.
Think about it. If heat works fine, why is salt necessary? Or if salt works fine, why is heat necessary? I would never use both at the same time.
It is not necessary to use both at one time, but when used in conjunction with each other they are potent.
I'm a member of the "better living through medications" club. For Ich, I highly recommend a product called RidIch+. It is safe for all fishes -- yes, even scaleless fishes like loaches and Ottos. You'll hear people say "better use it at half-dose if you have loaches!" Incorrect. RidIch+ is ALREADY diluted to half-dose compared to other similar products. I have been through several bouts of Ich and it has always worked without fail; and I have clown loaches, kuhli loaches, Ottos, and other delicate fish who all survive.
Good for you! And we see how you have what appears to be chronic ICH infestations. Using heat you can completely eradicate the ICH parasite from your tank, so unless you don't quarantine or cross contaminate...
Med's are great and we here at AA and other sites recommend them for all sorts of ailments, even ICH med's.
When using RidIch+, I also recommend bumping up the heat SLIGHTLY -- 80F at the most. This accelerates Ich's lifecycle. Even if you are sticking with the salt method, I still would not go over 80F, period.
You yourself recommend using heat just as we do to speed-up the parasites
lifecycle in order to catch it in a more treatable form.
You recommend one type of med, while we another, neither is wrong.

Once again it falls to opinion, and you know what I think about opinion.

Now, you really should learn how to get along better with others, I bet my prod above got your unfavorable attention....
Your lack of etiquette and sour demeanor is not appreciated, try being gracious and polite to others even if they seem dimwitted or slow to you.
Fill in your profile, tell us about your tanks and fish.

You come off like a troll, and you know what they say...
If it walks like a Duck,
Quacks like a Duck,
It must be a Duck!

Something wrong with my post? Looks like you read too much body language into it.

You think I have "chronic Ich infestations," but fail to ask why. What do they say about assumptions, again?

ChileRelleno said:
[You yourself recommend using heat just as we do to speed-up the parasites
lifecycle in order to catch it in a more treatable form.

Who is "we?" And as far as I can tell, the "we" here recommend heat to kill Ich, not to speed up the lifecycle. That is the difference here, and why I only recommend 80F. I am not looking to kill Ich with heat, merely speed up the lifecycle so RidIch+ can work on it faster.

I'm fine with that. Looks like someone took it personally. :roll: Apparently I am entitled to my opinion, but should expect to get berated for it.

Its ok. Chile is good people. I just think he might be doin a little :drinking:

Im just teasin Chile :lol: ...I love you man. Lets just keep things informative!

This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community.
:nono: you've been a baaaad boy, now we must :censor: you, so mind your manners :taped:, or else we'll be forced to :drain: you...

A troll, is a troll, is a troll, is still a troll....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom