Treating ich without harming cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ptolemy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi :). I'm new to this site and to having fish. My previous fish had ich, I treated with raising water temperature & salt water treatment - unfortunately, all my fish & shrimp died :(. So I waited a couple weeks, got new fish & shrimp .... and the night after I brought my fish home, it appeared as though my male platy has ich, agh! How can I treat without killing everything again?? Any advice would be great!

Did you leave the heater on the tank at high temperatures during the weekly period? if so, it may be possible that the Ich came from wherever you bought your new fish. Imo your best bet is to see if you can get your Shrimp to another tank and treat your main tank with some chemicals, do massive water changes, then put the shrimp back in.

Ziggs180 said:
Did you leave the heater on the tank at high temperatures during the weekly period? if so, it may be possible that the Ich came from wherever you bought your new fish. Imo your best bet is to see if you can get your Shrimp to another tank and treat your main tank with some chemicals, do massive water changes, then put the shrimp back in.

Thanks, yes I set up a new tank, will transfer shrimp tonight & treat my main tank. & I do believe I got a new fish that had ich on it (only one spot I noticed after getting home-but enough to get it going!). I've only seen a couple spots on it but I don't want it to spread as badly as it did last time (bought a bunch that had ich & didn't know anything about it).

When you first experienced ich, how fast did you raise the temp and to what degree?

Also, how much salt did you add?

Are your tanks cycled?

Back
Top Bottom