Treating Internal Parasites With Metro??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just picked up some metro to treat my dg (dwarf gourami) with internal parasites. The directions say you can treat the tank or feed orally. I have no idea how I would mix the medication with the food. Should I treat the water and feed with fish food? The instructions are not clear at all.
:thanks:

I'm telling you soaking flake food sucks, pellete are much easier to absorb the treatment. But my best advice is treat the entire tank, it's what one capful per 10g, doesn't get any easier.

I'm just not sure if it will treat parasites though! It says nothing about that on the bottle. So your saying treat the tank and soak pellets?

I'm just not sure if it will treat parasites though! It says nothing about that on the bottle. So your saying treat the tank and soak pellets?

No I'm saying I always treat the water and not the food, when treating for parasites it's best not to feed for a few days. Also turn out the lights for 24hrs after dosing, Meteozoidale has been shown to be less affective when exposed to light, and last make sure there's no carbon or Purigen in the filters since that removes meds.

Ooooh! Thanks so much!! You've been a big help!

By the way, your profile picture kinda scares me a little bit! Is that you on Halloween or something?

By the way, your profile picture kinda scares me a little bit! Is that you on Halloween or something?

Nope that's Capt. Spaulding from House of a 1000 Corpes & The Devils Rejects.

Good luck with the fish!

The last few days the poo has been all brown, but now it's back to white and stringy!

I always use at least two treatments when it comes to parasites. Perform a water change and treat again. Remember do not feed during treatment as this can compound the issue and cause further irritation to the intestines. Also what are you feeding them? I've found certain frozen foods to cause bloat to DG.

So, I should do two 5-7 day treatments? If I can't feed during the treatment, when do I feed? I feed mostly flakes and pellets and occasionally frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms.

I would do one more treatment with a PWC in-between. I've never had luck feeding frozen to dwarf gouramis, they are so fragile and seem to constipate very easily leading to Bloat.

When do I feed if I can't during the treatment?

I would wait for 48hrs after the second treatment until I tried to feed anything, and I personally would stick to flakes or pellets.

You could also use some Epsom salt as well, slowly dissolve over time 1tbs. per 10g, as this also helps with the constipation.

Last edited:
The little guy is going home (the main tank) Wednesday! His poop is brown and normal looking and his body looks normal! Thanks for all your help!

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but had to just so i could laugh. Are you sure this isn't you Hukit?:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom