Trouble in Parasite!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsarita68

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! I am new to this forum, actually any kind of forum, so if I make some mistakes I apologize in advance. After setting up a very small tank and loosing my fish with in a week I decided to do some research and see what went wrong. Boy, did I screw up in every way possible! I have combed through this forum collecting advice and gaining knowledge to set up my new tank in an attempt to do it right this time. I got a bigger tank, researched the fish I wanted, researched the plants, etc. I set up the tank with the water sprite, and guppy grass and then a week later put some bio filter from a friend's tank in my filter, added 2 fish and the Dwarf Sagittaria. My current readings as of today are High Range PH 8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5. I am using API Freshwater Master Test Kit. However, I have already run into a problem and I hope you all can help. I think one of my fish has a parasite. Prior to the parasite his tail fin had a white streak that seemed to give way to a tear that hopefully you can see in the photo. I went to my local fish store where I purchased the fish and they gave me PraziPro to treat my tank. Any advice would be appriciated ! ~J

Attachments

• FishP1.jpg
    FishP1.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 99
I believe they have internal parasites because both fish are now pooping out VERY long, more than half the length of the fish, clear/white poo. You can see the poo in the pic. It's the wiggly white thing directly under the fish. The stuff that is coming out of them now is even longer than in the pic. From all the research I have done clear white poo is an indication of parasite infestation. My fish have been in a hospital tank for almost three days now and have not been exposed to any clear or white food as there aren't any live plants in that tank. I have been feeding them regular fish food and the poop is not the color of the food. They also have some damage on their back fins and I was told by my fish store guy that that could be a secondary infection caused by the parasite. The PraziPro doesn't seem to be helping so tomorrow they will go back into the display tank after I do a 25% water change and I will purchase some metronidazole to treat the tank with as long as it isn't going to kill my plants or bio filter. Thanks for taking an interest in my case and any advice you have will be welcome! ~J

You don't need metro you need Acriflavin and formalin walmart has it "ick clear" or whatever. Had the same problem with mine....it's not easy to kill and I tried all the usual metro prazipro clout, nothing worked but the ick clear......

Back
Top Bottom