Troubles with my guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guienevere22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first aquarium and it only has 1.66 gallons of water. I cycled it for four days. The people at the store I bought the fish said that was long enough, so I got one pair of guppies. The female looks fine and is acting normally from what I have read and been told. They both were staying at the top of the tank, but now the male is staying at the bottom. Also, his tail fin has red in a couple of spots at the very end and I fear he may be bleeding. My pH is 7.6 and the water temp is 78 degrees. I have only had the fish for 24 hours and the male was eating yesterday and earlier today, but when I fed them tonight at around 10:30 pm, he didn't eat. If anyone has any idea what might be wrong please tell me! I don't want my fish to die! :cry:

Just something to add, I was checking on the fish and the male did come up to the top to eat a little, but I'm still concerned about his fin. Again, any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

4 days is not long enough to cycle even a very small tank. Do a 50% water change immediately. Make sure the water you put back in the tank is the same pH and temp as the water you took out. I suspect that the ammonia is very high right now. Take a water sample to the LFS (local fish store) and have it checked. You might try adding some Cycle to the tank also. I have never used it, but I know folks who swear by it. I'm thinking that your tank is of marginal size even for a pair of guppies. You might want to look into a Betta as one of them would live happily in a tank that size. Also, on the left side of the AA home page, click the "articles" link and read the article on the nitrogen cycle. It will give you a good overview of what happens as a tank cycles.
Logan J

Thank you Logan. I definitely will get on the water change and will go to the store tomorrow. Do you have any idea why it seems to be just the male that is being affected?

Some fish handle the ammonia/nitrite better than others. The male could have been stressed before you got him. That's all I can think of.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom