Tuberculosis (help needed)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am pretty sure I have TB in my tanks. So my plan is to treat with Kanaplex and see what happens. I had it in a QT but only recognize it in hindsight. That was months ago.

The QT Tank had ICH and while I was treating it one of the female thread fins started showing signs of what looked like a bent spine and she was really thin. She passed. I figured it was just her not making it through ICH she was the fish affected the worse. The fish stayed in QT for 12 weeks. They stayed another 6 weeks after the ICH.

In my 28 gallon I have the other female threadfins from the QT tank, they have been in the tank for months. I had a Tetra develop some ulcers and eventually started swimming funny. He had been showing some symptoms for a while. Pop eye in both eyes. He started to show some ulcerations on his body but he was behaving fine otherwise. We left him alone until he started to show symptoms of being off. This was just written off as no big deal.

Some flames from this tank had ben previously moved to my sons tank.

In my sons 20 gallon long tank one danio showed signs of an arched back. This fish was always kind of thin so he always seemed off so I didn't think anything of his death.

We had him for a year and he always appeared that way.

Not long after that a Flame Tetra started to hide. He developed pop eye and pine coning when his pine coning was obvious we put him down after I tried to treat with Jungle Fungus Clear.

We also lost the snail from this tank (he was put in a separate tank during the Jungle Fungus treatment)

A few days later another flame developed an S curve in his spine and started to shimmy.

Meanwhile in the 28 gallon we have one more threadfin with a curved spine (like a humpback).

SO I am thinking it is TB. I was going to put the Threadfin down with the curved spine and treat the tank with Kanaplex.

I do not want to euthanize the whole tank. This is my threadfin tank and the rest of them look healthy plus they are my favorite fish so I want to fight for this one.

I have read about a UV light helping. I only came across it on one site anyone know of this being the case?

Also should I just combine the affected 20 long and 28 and treat them together or keep them separate?

My goal here is to limit exposure. It is obviously in both tanks. I don't want my combining tanks to increase the risk. If that makes sense.

Any advice?

Water has been tested throughout the whole adventure. Ammonia and Nitrites stayed at 0 for the most part. If they went above it was to about .25 or .5 after some treatments but water changes were kept on. Nitrites were 0. Nitrates stayed around 20 or less.

Thanks!

Anyone have any advice here? I'm torn between Erythromycin and Kanamycin.

There is also information out there that cleaning the tank or bleaching it will not kill this bacteria. That you have to use Calcium Hypochlorite (found at pool stores).

Thanks!
Jana

TB is a serious issue and while I commend you for attempting to cure the fish I would personally recommend euthanizing all the fish then breaking down the tank to bleach the living daylights out of everything with a strong 1:6 ratio, bleach will kill this dosed in this amount. Then let the tank bake in the sun for a few days as this will neutralize the chlorine in bleach. Mycobacterium marinum also has the potential to be transmitted to humans so this is something not to be messed with in my opinion.

If you must proceed with a treatment then I'd use Kanamycin, along with the addition of Boyds VitaChem soaked into the food along with dosing the water, and lastly feed a high quality diet such as NLS.

Good luck and please be careful.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your fish. It does sound like TB. Unfortunately I agree that you should tear down your tanks, as hard as it will be.

I have a huge fear of TB in my tanks because I have a compromised immune system.

Please make sure to wear protective gloves and do not allow anything to come in contact with open cuts on your hands or arms.

Good luck.

Look up the signs of camallanus worms. I too was having similar issues I suspected TB originally too but after I found out about camallanus worms I noticed the symptoms can actually be similar. I finally treated with tetra parasite guard n so far so good. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom