Two new Angelfish behaving oddly.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I was wondering if any of you would be able to try and help me figure out what's wrong with my fish. This week i bought a 12x12x30
3xaNv.jpg

I put 20 lbs worth of Eco-Complete Planted Aquarium Substrate and then filled up the tank with water.
After I had the aquarium filled i put 10 mL worth of Nutrafin AquaPlus.
xXcFr.jpg

I then waited 20 minutes to put in the plants, filter, and heater.
5VPAY.jpg

3j1fk.jpg

I wasn't able to get any fish for a couple days and but I was able to drop by the pet store on friday to pick up the fish.
I got 2 Angelfish
gJFA1.jpg

and
tmC0n.jpg

, and they were both starting to get used to the tank until yesterday.
They weren't eating the flakes
5ENRV.jpg

or the blood worms
lyTvu.jpg

I got them.

Today I noticed the white and yellow behaving even stranger than yesterday, he wasn't swimming much and didn't want to eat, same thing with the black and white one. Both of stayed at the top of the aquarium most of the day, but right now one of them is almost on its side and it looks like he's struggling to swim and the other slowly swims up to the top of the top of the aquarium to were the filter releases the water and swims into the flow which hurls him to the gravel.
Please help me!!

Welcome to AA.

It seems like you didnt cycle your aquarium. From that brings nitrite and ammonia, which are effecting the fish (Toxic to them). Heres a link to the Nitrogen cycle: The Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

To help keep the ammonia and nitrite down, I would recommend doing a partial water change everyday with additional prime (Optional, Detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours) until your tank cycles.

Also, to monitor the parameters, I would recommend getting a liquid test kit (Not test strips, they are inaccurate), preferably the API master liquid test kit.

Is this a 15 gallon fish tank? If so, I have to tell that the angelfish will outgrow it. 1 angelfish needs at least a 20 gallon high by them self, at least 30 gallons for 2.

That tank is a 20 long, and is sufficient to grow a pair of angels most of the way to adulthood, although a slightly taller tank would be preferred. The tank should have been cycled, but if you have only had the fish since Friday, ammonia is not the problem (yet). I would change at least half of the water as there is something amiss.As well, the temp is a little low for angels to thrive; they prefer 80F.
The rule of thumb is one adult angel for 10 gals. Breeding pairs are generally kept in a standard 20 .

Read this first.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ady-have-fish-what-now-116287.html#post983258

Your tank hasn't been cycled yet and your fish will be poisoned by their own waste. Do a 50% PWC to control waste levels and get a liquid reagent test kit like the API Freshwater Master. You'll have to do a lot of PWCs to keep the ammonia below 0.25ppm.

FYI, the dial on the heater and the stick-on thermometer are nearly worthless because they're so inaccurate. A cheap in-tank glass thermometer will give you a much better idea of your water temperature.

Back
Top Bottom