Two Options in my Hand - what do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
A little help please - am not sure what to do next. In another post had four RN tetras die of ich (they had spots when I got them - I am a newbie).

After treating with API Super Ich plus - one dose 48 hours then 25% water change then again - have done this three times and two of my guppies have one or two white spots each (so despite treatment it seems to have spread but the guppies like to sleep on the gravel so probably didn't help).

One of the RN Tetras had a large white patch on him which I now suspect was columnaris (again he arrived with this - did I mention am a newbie).

So now one of my guppies has a cloudy patch on his dorsal fin and another black rasbora died after appearing with white marks on his lips (not cotton candy like but white nevertheless).

So here I am - I increased my temperature to 82F (on advice of LFS) which I now know was likely too low to cure Ich and just enough to accelerate Columnaris.

In my hand now - I have Aquarium Salt (would have to remove my plants but I can do it) and Tetracycline.

I treated with Super Ich Plus this morning - what do I do?

I have done water changes - I understand that the Tetracycline will blast my BB but don't want the Columnaris to spread (I don't have a QT tank or anyway to set one up tonight).

I can treat with Aquarium Salt but have started to drop the temp to 80 so as not to further accelerate the Columnaris.

I have these two products in my hand now - which one do I use

Tetracycline is for gram positive bacteria. Columnaris will not be stopped by tetracycline. It is a Gram-negative bacteria. You need Oxytetracycline, kanamycin, or minocycline.

An update - I dropped the temp to 75F approx and used some aquarium salt. I didn't use the tetracycline as I didn't want to blast the tank and had already been using Super Ich Plus.

So far my remaining eight fish look good - so will let things settle for a while. Will then invest in a QT Tank!

Thank you to those who responded - appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom