Uggg, no wonder my fish wont get any better....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tasha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I purchased a chocolate chip molly that after adding to the main tank I found had worms,..... jumping ahead, now a few of my fish have it and I've had 2 deaths. I started them on the jungle anti parasite food 2 wks ago, and STILL no improvement.... so this morning I called the company getting advice. Turns out i've been following the directions wrong. Since ive read and re read them and I do belive they have could been a little more detailed in the instructions to help this mis understanding.

Im to feed them the anti parasite food and ONLY that food for three consequtive days... then four days off.... BUT in that 4 days I would switch back to regular food, when I called the lady from jungle said there NO FOOD for that 4 day break in between.... then I carrry on that schedule (3 days medicated food, 4 days no food) for 4 rounds of the medicated food..... Now I have to start all over and pray none of my other fish die in the mean time.....

Has anyone else ever treated with this medicated foor for parasites before and how did you do it? did it work? how long did it take??

Thanks for the info. I'm treating for internal parasites right now and I'm also using the Jungle anti-parasite food. Unfortunately, I've just made the same mistake. Guess I'll have to start over too. I have already noticed a change in my fish's poo (was stringy, now back to brown and solid). I still intend on completing the cycle. Fortunately for me, my fish seem to have been doing OK even with the parasites. In fact, they've had the parasites since I got them 6 months ago. After learning more about fish care on this site, I decided to treat the fish hoping to prevent any future disasters.

here is a picture of one of my fish that has worms,notice the treads coming from vent

im glad im not the only one who did it wrong.... My fishes poop sometimes looks ok, mostly what I dont like is seeing the red fiber like worms and enlarged vent opening....

IMG_8229edit.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for improving directions, because I too did the same thing. I will say that on a couple of occasions, I been told it doesn't work, so I'm trying something new.

Sent from my Epic 4G

hmmm, thanks for the link. Some of my fish have obvious worms so im counting on the jungle foood, my fingers are crossed.

Tasha said:
hmmm, thanks for the link. Some of my fish have obvious worms so im counting on the jungle foood, my fingers are crossed.

I'm just coming up on the first 24hrs of this treatment. Jungle food didn't help mine, I hope you have better luck with it.

When I was at Petsmart last weekend, they had 2 kinds of Jungle brand meds. Parasite and bacteria, maybe I was using the wrong one!

Please keep us updated.

Sent from my Epic 4G

Like I had explained in your other post about this.

Use the parasite tabs by Jungle as you are feeding with the parasite food. Just feeding the food will not kill off the worms that are still alive in the tank itself.

Calamus worms are hard to get rid of as it is, but by using both the internal (food) and external (tabs) you have a better chance of beating them.

I also suggest doing the regimen twice. Follow through with the first course of both food and tabs. Do a massive water change, add some aquarium salt. Wait a week, do another water change, no salt this time, and start the food and tabs. After that, one the first day you feed them regular food, feed them some frozen daphnia or peas (minus the outer husk) both will help the fish poop out the dead worms.

I wonder how babies will fair with the tabs in the water, I have a really preggo mama now and some little ones..

Thanks for your help

You can dose the tank at half strength with the tabs. Say 1 tab per 10g (2 tabs total) once a day for 3 days is the dosing directions. For a 20g you would normally use 2 tabs a day for 3 days= 6 tabs dosed in the 3 day span. To lessen the impact on your fish go with 1 tab every day for 6 days.

My husband did some more research on the camallanus worms since it looks like we have another infestation in our 115 angelfish tank. Luckily we had some of the parasite food left over and some tabs, we also bought some horse dewormer the last time but never used it. This time we're giving it a go.

But, what I wanted to tell you was that I've found out the life cycle and how long it takes before there are visible signs of infestation.

So, it takes 6-12 weeks to develop for them to become large enough for us to see them protruding out of the fish. The life cycle is 30 days. Meaning, I QT for about 5 weeks, no visible signs, I put new fish into display tank, a few more weeks, signs. Which seems to be what happened. We bought some neons, QT'd for 5 weeks, put them in the display tank, now our beautiful angels and rams have red worms hanging out of their butts.

The article I'm going to post for you says that the Parasite tabs didn't work for getting rid of the worms, however, in my experience and with a thought added, I know they helped. I think they also helped kill off the eggs and larva since they wouldn't be as strong as the adult worm.

Good luck.

Camallanus Worms: An Aquariasts Worst Nightmare

Thanks dragonfish71, im gong to read the link right now. Im literally almost in tears over my poor fish. I have 4 of them with obvious worms, nothing I do helps them at all.... I get different advice from different people, its seems like its never going to end..... :( I wish you lots of luck!!

Ok I just read through that and it makes me want to cry.... to think how much I have been through I cant imagine a year...

When they say bloodworms, is it the dried bloodworm food their talking about? I have never fed these to my mollies but I do have some my daughter fed her water frog. Im going to go on amazon and search for panacur and start soaking the blood worms....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom