Um.... HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My tank has velvet so I have done a 50% wc and cleaned everything up ready to medicate. I put 50ml of interpret anti slime & velvet in my tank (250ltr) as per instructions. It says its not harmful to fish etc, but I've just checked my tank and all 5 of my juvenile bnp's are at the waterline, popping up to get air periodically. Everyone else looks happy enough, just the plecos!

I test my water before a pwc, tonight's results were 0,0,20, ph 7.6.

What do I do!?

Plecs are very sensitive to copper I'm afraid so unless there is a way to rehome them into another tank they're going to suffer during treatment. The other issue with copper can cause is oxygen depletion in the tank so adding a airstone or increased surface movement should help some.

Last edited:
I have a distinct suspicion I'm going to be waking up to some dead fish tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed I'm wrong. There's not a lot I can do now, it's late. If someone has any advice on what to do in the morning if they survive the night, that would be good. Thanks, and good night!

Plecs are very sensitive to copper I'm afraid so unless there is a way to rehome them into another tank they're going to suffer. The other issue with copper can oxygen depletion in the tank so adding a airstone should help some.

See, they warn about elephant nosed fish on the packaging, no mention of plecos. I wouldn't have done the treatment with the plecos if I'd known. I don't have anywhere suitable to put them. The goldfish tank? Or a tiny 15ltr (currently empty) kids tank?

Thank you hukit.

See, they warn about elephant nosed fish on the packaging, no mention of plecos. I wouldn't have done the treatment with the plecos if I'd known. I don't have anywhere suitable to put them. The goldfish tank? Or a tiny 15ltr (currently empty) kids tank?.

I don't think it will kill them honestly, they're simply not going to be happy and somewhat uncomfortable during this treatment. Increase the surface agitation and they should be fine.

Thank you hukit.

Your welcome.

Last edited:
Ah, thank you again. That's reassuring. I'll treat them to something good when its all over.

So one more quick question... How long do I need to leave the meds to work? It doesn't specifically say and I can't find info on the net. All it says is if a second dose is required to wait 7 days. I'm just worried about my plecos. One has returned to grazing on the wood, the rest are still at the waterline. Do I need to wait the full 7 days or can I change the water sooner, say after 3 days or something? And pop my carbon back in.

Treatment normally last anywhere from 1-2 weeks. I would also do a blackout for 2-3 days during this period as well, completely cover the tank with dark blankets and don't uncover them to check on them.

Back
Top Bottom