Unconsious Fish -gets normal, plays and again becomes unconscious and free floats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

praveen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Something has happened to one of my fish (a milky white carp), otherwise very fit so far, in my 65 gallons tank which has 2 golds, 6 Zebra danios, two small pleccos and (two guppies - a wrong combination, I know) in addition to this fish.

Today all of a sudden this fish started behaving weird, which gives a feeling that it has died and starts floating freely. I immediately changed around 80% -water and cleaned the filter (as the same was also due --last changes was done around 4 weeks back some 40% water ).

In the evening it again seemed like perfectly healthy and played well with other gold fishes; basically ran a lot and played a chasing game, then again it became unconscious after 2 hours in which it seems like semi-conscious,intermittently swimming randomly and unstably taking rotations and the floating freely again like a dead fish.

What has happened?? What can I do now to fix this problem. :ermm:

Please watch the video completely at below URL:

The tank has been up with me since September 2014 and this and all other fishes came at that time only except one of the pleccos (which came around a month back).

I maintained a constant temperature of 20C throughout inorder to maintain a sweet spot of the requirements of the tropical fishes (zebra danios, pleccos and guppies) and the gold fishes. Fed everyday once in the morning only.

Thanks,
PraveenK

I'm not an expert, but perhaps he knocked himself silly and is drifting from consciousness to unconsciousness? Or maybe he has swim bladder issues and that's why he is floating funny.

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

I'm not an expert, but perhaps he knocked himself silly and is drifting from consciousness to unconsciousness? Or maybe he has swim bladder issues and that's why he is floating funny.

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

I would guess roughly the same. He's his himself hard or something and it's messed with his swim bladder giving reason to the floating and odd movements.

Caleb

How long has tank been set up?
Do you own a test kit?

Today all of a sudden this fish started behaving weird, which gives a feeling that it has died and starts floating freely. I immediately changed around 80% -water and cleaned the filter (as the same was also due --last changes was done around 4 weeks back some 40% water ).

4 weeks is long time to not change water in a tank with multiple plecos and goldfish!
I would bump up to weekly water changes of a decent %.
I would also recommend not doing large waterchanges and cleaning filter on same day.

How long has tank been set up?
Do you own a test kit?

4 weeks is long time to not change water in a tank with multiple plecos and goldfish!
I would bump up to weekly water changes of a decent %.
I would also recommend not doing large waterchanges and cleaning filter on same day.

+1

I agree that the water schedule needs to be more frequent - at min once a week.

What is the volume of the water?

How many fish?

Water parameters? Do you have a liquid water testing set?

I haven't heard of goldfish doing well with non-goldfish tank mates - you might need to watch that. It's possible the other fish are bullying the goldfish.

Could you provide answers to the above and we can then help you out more.

Cheers, Roz

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom