Unhealthly Betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does Mr. Inigo have broken fin bones? He never flairs up or floats pretty, just kinda mopes around. I know there’s breeding issues of making fins to large and I’m worried that’s what happened here.

IMG_0067.jpg

Does Mr. Inigo have broken fin bones? He never flairs up or floats pretty, just kinda mopes around. I know there’s breeding issues of making fins to large and I’m worried that’s what happened here.

View attachment 308741
It's pitiful that something so beautiful to us can be such misery to the poor creature with the beauty. When playing with genetics, the one doing the playing can't predict the results nor the suffering of the end creature. His fin bones aren't broken, but I could see some curvature in the nub that the flowing part of the fin is attached to...from carrying and the workout he hasto go through to tra to propel himself along. Your fear is right about his genetics being the reason for his problems. I would try to make him some little platforms (shelves) that you could hang off of the side of the tank that are only about 4 inches under the water for him to perch on. That way he won't be so far below the surface all the time when he needs to change the air bubble in the labyrinth organ in his head. As I assume you know, if a betta can't get to the surface once in awhile, it will drown.

It's pitiful that something so beautiful to us can be such misery to the poor creature with the beauty. When playing with genetics, the one doing the playing can't predict the results nor the suffering of the end creature. His fin bones aren't broken, but I could see some curvature in the nub that the flowing part of the fin is attached to...from carrying and the workout he hasto go through to tra to propel himself along. Your fear is right about his genetics being the reason for his problems. I would try to make him some little platforms (shelves) that you could hang off of the side of the tank that are only about 4 inches under the water for him to perch on. That way he won't be so far below the surface all the time when he needs to change the air bubble in the labyrinth organ in his head. As I assume you know, if a betta can't get to the surface once in awhile, it will drown.

Yep, before I bought him over a year ago I just wanted a big beautiful boy then after I got him I looked into it and now I feel bad for the guy. He’s swimming on the deep end right now, the other side of the tank has a lot more for him to rest on. I’ll try to sneak in maybe a floating log for him or something though. Any other suggestions?

Looks to me like anchor worms or maybe lice got to him. He's stressed. And dont look like hes breathing good. He probably use to be a all red betta before. That patch under his mouth is a huge sign of stress. If it's worms you will not see them in light. Take a red light and peek in on him in the dark. But be very silent. You will spook them. If it's not worms. I'd test your water. I see you have plants. For a heads up worms and other hitch hikers can be added to your tank that way. The white patch back by his tail is on his body, that's a sign of something of a parasite. If it was fungus, his fins would really bad at this point. And as to the tail bones breaking from branching. it would be the tail fin. Not the body. But with your little guy it is something to keep in mind. A small tank for these big fin betta's are idea for their lifetime with us.

Yep, before I bought him over a year ago I just wanted a big beautiful boy then after I got him I looked into it and now I feel bad for the guy. He’s swimming on the deep end right now, the other side of the tank has a lot more for him to rest on. I’ll try to sneak in maybe a floating log for him or something though. Any other suggestions?
Not any other suggestions that wouldn't involve cutting his fins down...but it's too late to consider that as the curvature of his pectoral fins is now permanent and something that wouldn't even probably wouldn't be noticed by just looking may be a permanent downward curvature in the spine because if the weight of the caudal fin. If you could use decorations or a hollow log that foats at the surface, he may take advantage of it so he doesn't have to fight so hard to get his needed air bubble. Other than that, he's not sick and may actually be happier than we realize. Love and enjoy him. He really is beautiful.

Looks to me like anchor worms or maybe lice got to him. He's stressed. And dont look like hes breathing good. He probably use to be a all red betta before. That patch under his mouth is a huge sign of stress. If it's worms you will not see them in light. Take a red light and peek in on him in the dark. But be very silent. You will spook them. If it's not worms. I'd test your water. I see you have plants. For a heads up worms and other hitch hikers can be added to your tank that way. The white patch back by his tail is on his body, that's a sign of something of a parasite. If it was fungus, his fins would really bad at this point. And as to the tail bones breaking from branching. it would be the tail fin. Not the body. But with your little guy it is something to keep in mind. A small tank for these big fin betta's are idea for their lifetime with us.

He has white spots all over and it follows the curves of the scales, and he’s always been that way so I don’t think it’s a fungus but I will look into it and I’ll check for worms, worst comes to worst I can put him in a fish bowl with some meds for a couple weeks. I have shrimp and snails in the tank so I can’t treat him there.

Do Bettas enjoy salt baths? I don’t want to stress him out to much, I’ll try the shelves then move on to meds if needed.

I read Angels post about possible parasites. Go ahead and do the red light test for worms if you like. Angelove I trust. However, mentioned that he doesn't flare, but he is flaring a little in the 1st pic as you can see a little of the solid parts of the gill membrane slightly thrusted forward. Signs of stress could be caused by his having to fight so hard to move. But never rule anything out until you can actually rule it out. I do doubt the achor worm possibility because there would eventually be bloody looking sores where the anchors would have been feeding. Gill flukes are possible.
He has white spots all over and it follows the curves of the scales, and he’s always been that way so I don’t think it’s a fungus but I will look into it and I’ll check for worms, worst comes to worst I can put him in a fish bowl with some meds for a couple weeks. I have shrimp and snails in the tank so I can’t treat him there.

Do Bettas enjoy salt baths? I don’t want to stress him out to much, I’ll try the shelves then move on to meds if needed.

Imo I wouldn’t do salt baths unless needed as a treatment plan. I think as mentioned above a look at water flow, get water tested at shop to check ammonia, ph, nitrates and rest areas. So checking water quality / tank setup first.

Salt is effective but does cause stress (just some fish can adjust somewhat whereas parasites can’t).

Actually salt baths are often used in the treatment of fish ailments. It releives fin rot and even prevents ich from sticking to your fish. Sodium Chloride is the salt I'm referring to, but you must get aquarium salt. You can buy table salt without iodide, but it still has silicates to prevent caking. The mixture would be 1 tbsp to 1 gallon of water. It's best to take a gallon of the tank water. The treatment is recommended for 5 to 8 minutes. Do only 5 minutes. Fill your tank back up as you would with a water change leaving enough room to acclimate your betta back to the tank in a plastic bag like a new fish. Mix a whole gallon to make sure the solution is accurate. After the salt has disolved, pour an ample amount into a fish bag and seal it with a rubber band so you can allow for air space. Sit the bag in th top of your tank to float, with the fish in it. After 5 minutes, open the bag and very slowly start adding tank water until you have added an equal amount of tank water as you had of treatment water. Immediately take you net and add your betta back to the tank, dispose of the treatment water, and finish filling your tank. This treatment is good as an antiparacitic as well.
I read Angels post about possible parasites. Go ahead and do the red light test for worms if you like. Angelove I trust. However, mentioned that he doesn't flare, but he is flaring a little in the 1st pic as you can see a little of the solid parts of the gill membrane slightly thrusted forward. Signs of stress could be caused by his having to fight so hard to move. But never rule anything out until you can actually rule it out. I do doubt the achor worm possibility because there would eventually be bloody looking sores where the anchors would have been feeding. Gill flukes are possible.

I think the test of the water would be a very good idea. I looked a little closer at his eyes, they are a bit cloudy. His fins look fine. And if his color has always been the same. I'd think to check into his eyes. Too much light over time, maybe!! Or water quality, is my thought. He looks more stressed than anything.

Actually salt baths are often used in the treatment of fish ailments. It releives fin rot and even prevents ich from sticking to your fish. Sodium Chloride is the salt I'm referring to, but you must get aquarium salt. You can buy table salt without iodide, but it still has silicates to prevent caking. The mixture would be 1 tbsp to 1 gallon of water. It's best to take a gallon of the tank water. The treatment is recommended for 5 to 8 minutes. Do only 5 minutes. Fill your tank back up as you would with a water change leaving enough room to acclimate your betta back to the tank in a plastic bag like a new fish. Mix a whole gallon to make sure the solution is accurate. After the salt has disolved, pour an ample amount into a fish bag and seal it with a rubber band so you can allow for air space. Sit the bag in th top of your tank to float, with the fish in it. After 5 minutes, open the bag and very slowly start adding tank water until you have added an equal amount of tank water as you had of treatment water. Immediately take you net and add your betta back to the tank, dispose of the treatment water, and finish filling your tank. This treatment is good as an antiparacitic as well.

I agree as a treatment use. I disagree on it as something they may enjoy (previous post from OP).

I agree as a treatment use. I disagree on it as something they may enjoy (previous post from OP).
The fish enjoying all the movement and/ or the treatment itself, I highly doubt. I only gave directions for use being concerned about the treatment part. It's one of the safest disease and parasite treatments you could use and highly effective...for freshwater fish only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Imo I wouldn’t do salt baths unless needed as a treatment plan. I think as mentioned above a look at water flow, get water tested at shop to check ammonia, ph, nitrates and rest areas. So checking water quality / tank setup first.

Salt is effective but does cause stress (just some fish can adjust somewhat whereas parasites can’t).
Agree with Delapool, I tried a salt bath with my betta and he clamped up. I dissolved it first and added it very slowly. I'm still having problems with his tail and will be moving him to a smaller tank. No more large fin bettas for me, I am not going to support this cruel breeding any longer.

Floating logs have been a life saver for my Betta. December 2016 I noticed he was lying around a lot. I treated him for everything. Finally someone told me he was exhausted from carrying around all those huge fins. He’s still with me and comes out to eat and harass the snails. Does patrol on occasion. He’s a champ.

A couple questions, How long has he been this way? And what size is his tank?

He has been like this for a while. He is currently in a little pond like tank that is 40g but he has been in a 10g alone for most his life

He has been like this for a while. He is currently in a little pond like tank that is 40g but he has been in a 10g alone for most his life
I'd try a smaller tank, down to a 3 gallon. A 40g for a long tail is to stressful, he won't live as long.

I'd try a smaller tank, down to a 3 gallon. A 40g for a long tail is to stressful, he won't live as long.
The smaller tank is a good idea. Just as another safety precaution, seed the new little tank with BB culture from another tank and use a small sponge filter. The little power filters have just enough room behind them for the the betta to get behind and get stuck and drowned. It happened to 2 of my bettas with 2 different brands of intank power filters.

Back
Top Bottom