Unhealthy Gourami.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weestv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

Gourami turning pale and has small bumps on his head and swimming in circles, also chasing other fish and pecking at their sides.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

Ammonia 0.25, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5.0/10.0

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

190 litre setup for 6 weeks

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Juwel Bioflow 3.0 5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 5 other gourami around 6/7cm 6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? 50% water change 2 days ago, have done 5 altogether since setup 7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? Have them all for nearly 3 weeks. Acclimatised them by floating the bag and gradually adding tank water then release 8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? New silks plants well rinsed 9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Flakes two/three times a day. Thanks all!

Hi there, nothing springs to mind straight away with the bumps. Can you add more details - colour, shape, fluffy/pimple-like? Silly question but not ich? Perhaps a photo?

Also what is ph?

Hello, thanks for the reply, Ive managed to get a video of his unusual behaviour. He is circling the top of the tank frantically and getting more erratic, he also attacks the other fish, he is still eating though. The bumps I mentioned can be seen at the end of the video. They might be more raised gills than bumps. The PH is 7.4 and has not raised or dipped.

Video: http://youtu.be/R7NyjYgGgaA

h t t p://youtu.be/R7NyjYgGgaA

Thanks for the reply ive linked a video ive taken, hes swimming in circles frantically and getting worse. He sometimes attacks the other fish. The bumps seem to be raised scales. Hes strangely still eating. The PH hasnt moved from 7.4 and no other fish is affected as u can see in the video

Thanks
WeeStv

When he swims in front of the light I can see a red tint inside him which from what I gather is ammonia poisoning but I have done several water changes and the ammonia has never been above 0.5 at any time and ive been checking 1/2 times a day since the fish went in.

h t t p://youtu.be/R7NyjYgGgaA

Thanks for the reply ive linked a video ive taken, hes swimming in circles frantically and getting worse. He sometimes attacks the other fish. The bumps seem to be raised scales. Hes strangely still eating. The PH hasnt moved from 7.4 and no other fish is affected as u can see in the video

Thanks
WeeStv

Could it be dropsy? It's really early here so I've posted a link to check out to see if that would fit. Are the raised scales just on the head? Are the scales pine coning out or is there anything under the scales? Also any flashing?

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/termsandtables/p/Dropsy.htm

Had trouble with the link and was wondering if it was working your end?

Next up is the tank cycling or going through a min-cycle? Have you tested for ammonia in your tap water used for changing? Also what are nitrites and nitrates in tank to close out this.

Can you QT?

Edit - lol, reading back I see 6 weeks for setup.

Last edited:
The way he's swimming it looks like he's struggling.. I don't know either from the video I could not see the marks on his head that you were talking about.. Likly he is getting picked on by the other gourami's? Looks like to me with his swimming pattern he is trying to stay in front of the water flow I have noticed fish do that when they have skin infections are itching or low dissolved oxygen content in the water so my thoughts could be ich they sometimes display wired symptoms like that before spots have grown large enough to be visible, or bacterial infection from where the other gouramis have bitten him.. Have you changed anything(increased temp, added salt, added meds ect)

Thanks for the reply, no nothing has changed just 50% water changes to bring ammonia levels back to zero but as I said they have never been above 0.5, he does have a red tint when the light is behind him but I think thats due to the colour fade. When they were first put in the tank they did fight for the spot under the filter but they have all became very harmonious since. Is it cruel to let him go on or is there something I can do treat him do you think? I dont know if its applicable but his behaviour gets worse at night. Maybe due to the lights being on for a few hours?

Personally I don't really know the only thoughts that come to my head are even low levels of ammonia can be detrimental to fish especially one that may already be stressed due to being picked on..? You may think about adding an air pump and stone not to expensive and my petsmart has 15% off through today or tomorrow.. If they are all hanging around the top and gulping for air or rapid breathing..? Another reason I may think this is b/c u said it happens when your lights have been on for a while which could be heating up your water and decreasing it's oxygen carrying cap.. If you have noticed your temp rising? What temp is your tank set at?

And then again it could be something
Bacterial if skin inflamed if you think that's the cause.. may want to QT (if an option) and maybe treat with an antibacterial.. Like melafix? But I have herd some negative things about it's use with gourami's! Again just all the things I might think if it were my fish not saying it's correct just some options for you to consider! Hope it helps

Wow, poor guy looks very stressed out! Has he been making poo? I see that you feed them 2-3 times daily. Fish can be very piggy and if they eat too much, it can cause severe constipation that can lead to death. If I were you, I would cut back to feeding only once a day. This could help a lot.
He does seem to be swimming erratically. I wonder about some sort of bacterial infection, except that it seems to be only affecting the one fish.

Just an update folks. As you can see in the images I isolated the fish in a transport bag, when I done that the other fish in the tank started hovering at the bottom of the tank and diving upwards to the surface to grab air and diving back down (safe assumption theres ammonia present) I tested and it had risen to 0.5 again so I done a 60/70% water change not so long ago to bring it down in a hurry. After I done it I was checking on the little guy in isolation and his colour has restored miraculously, his black and blues are like new, does this give merit to ammonia poisoning? If so why has his colour restore just by being put in a bag with the same water he was originally in?

Hope this info is helpful

Thanks
WeeStv

We replied at the same time there! Lol yes ive dropped the feeding down to 1 decent portion per day but doesnt seem to have helped any. As you say I dont think its anything communal because all others are perfectly fine. If you read above he seems to have got his colour back but I will inspect further in the morning

Back
Top Bottom