Unhealthy Neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Tonight I noticed my neon tetras look in a terrible state. Two have a white or clear dot (about pin head size) around the mouth (one has both). So 3 dots total.

One looks like the lower part of the tail fin has been cut off and is quite ragged. The top half looks fine.

Another has something like the base of the tail is bruised looking with the tail base a bit crooked and a rusty brown colour. Tail fin looks ok. There also appears to be some pale spots on the body and in general a loss of colour.

I've attached two pictures each of one fish with white dots on the mouth and one with the bruised tail. There should be a black line pointing to the problems I can see but photos aren't great. I have the tetras in a school of 14 (still schooling) with rosy barbs, molies, platies, b/n catfish and loaches in a 4 foot tank with plants. Other fish all look fine. Neons are still eating, swimming and fins up. Main filters are cannister but I just put a bigger one in last weekend (the old one is still there). Ammonia and nitrite is 0 although I thought ammonia had a touch of colour. Nitrate was 40. I use the liquid test. PH is 7.4. Tank is almost 2 years old, neons were last fish added about 6 months ago. Tank temp has recently gone from 23 to 26 C as we go into summer. I change about 20% water each week.

About two to three weeks ago I had a mini-cycle with really high ammonia so I'm wondering if it could be delayed ammonia burns? The one with the bruised(?) tail base looks a deep wound though. Also I've had the flu but I don't think this was a problem before the weekend. So I'm also wondering if they got sucked onto the new canister filter intake at night (I'm a bit dubious, it is strong but rated for the tank).

The one with a part missing tail fin looks like it has been chomped off with ragged cuts. The other fish are generally good and I don't think the new filter would do it so I'm guessing fin rot?

The ones with dots I can only think of ich or fungal infection. I've only seen ich on bodies of mollies and platys before so not sure if seeing right and also don't know where it could come from as nothing new added for a month. So I'm kind of lost? Any help appreciated on what might be the problem? I'm off finding the QT tank to put all of them in there. I've put API Pimafix in at a single 2/3 dose to try something. Also some API stress coat.

Attachments

• 20131105_white_dots1.jpg
    20131105_white_dots1.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 20131105_white_dots2.jpg
    20131105_white_dots2.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20131105_brown_tail_base1.jpg
    20131105_brown_tail_base1.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20131105_brown_tail_base2.jpg
    20131105_brown_tail_base2.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 90
Tonight I noticed my neon tetras look in a terrible state. Two have a white or clear dot (about pin head size) around the mouth (one has both). So 3 dots total. One looks like the lower part of the tail fin has been cut off and is quite ragged. The top half looks fine. Another has something like the base of the tail is bruised looking with the tail base a bit crooked and a rusty brown colour. Tail fin looks ok. There also appears to be some pale spots on the body and in general a loss of colour. I've attached two pictures each of one fish with white dots on the mouth and one with the bruised tail. There should be a black line pointing to the problems I can see but photos aren't great. I have the tetras in a school of 14 (still schooling) with rosy barbs, molies, platies, b/n catfish and loaches in a 4 foot tank with plants. Other fish all look fine. Neons are still eating, swimming and fins up. Main filters are cannister but I just put a bigger one in last weekend (the old one is still there). Ammonia and nitrite is 0 although I thought ammonia had a touch of colour. Nitrate was 40. I use the liquid test. PH is 7.4. Tank is almost 2 years old, neons were last fish added about 6 months ago. Tank temp has recently gone from 23 to 26 C as we go into summer. I change about 20% water each week. About two to three weeks ago I had a mini-cycle with really high ammonia so I'm wondering if it could be delayed ammonia burns? The one with the bruised(?) tail base looks a deep wound though. Also I've had the flu but I don't think this was a problem before the weekend. So I'm also wondering if they got sucked onto the new canister filter intake at night (I'm a bit dubious, it is strong but rated for the tank). The one with a part missing tail fin looks like it has been chomped off with ragged cuts. The other fish are generally good and I don't think the new filter would do it so I'm guessing fin rot? The ones with dots I can only think of ich or fungal infection. I've only seen ich on bodies of mollies and platys before so not sure if seeing right and also don't know where it could come from as nothing new added for a month. So I'm kind of lost? Any help appreciated on what might be the problem? I'm off finding the QT tank to put all of them in there. I've put API Pimafix in at a single 2/3 dose to try something. Also some API stress coat.

The dots look like cotton mouth sadly it wiped out my school of tetras :( and qt is a great idea, that's what I did .. Hope it's not that :/ good luck

The dots look like cotton mouth sadly it wiped out my school of tetras :( and qt is a great idea, that's what I did .. Hope it's not that :/ good luck

Hi, many thanks for the reply. I'll chase up that, never thought of it. They are still looking the same this morning so I'm hoping.

I put all mine in a qt and one by one over a few months they all sadly passed, I won't get them again as they are quite sensitive fish, hope you can get something for it, again sadly I couldn't get anything here :(

I put all mine in a qt and one by one over a few months they all sadly passed, I won't get them again as they are quite sensitive fish, hope you can get something for it, again sadly I couldn't get anything here :(

Yes, bit worried. Thanks again. I finally got them all into the qt tank tonight and have to pop into the LFS to get a few things tomorrow and will ask in there as well. Will check tomorrow morning for any change. It really leaves a hole in the tank and they had been doing so well. Took ages to catch them :) The last one must of thought aliens were taking his friends and was hiding behind the rocks. I'd love to leave them in the main tank but its got loaches, catfish and plants which makes it tricky for treatments.

An update: the neons are all still alive and doing ok. The one with a part missing tail fin looks ok, bruised tail maybe a bit better but the dots on the mouth of one look a bit bigger. Main tank looks good so hoping.

An update: the neons are all still alive and doing ok. The one with a part missing tail fin looks ok, bruised tail maybe a bit better but the dots on the mouth of one look a bit bigger. Main tank looks good so hoping.
They will live quite a while like this, but one by one they pass :( it was very sad ... I hope you can get some treatment for yours .
Fingers crossed for you

They will live quite a while like this, but one by one they pass :( it was very sad ... I hope you can get some treatment for yours .
Fingers crossed for you

That is bad news, appreciated though as they are not happy campers in the smaller tank and have lost colour. I think they really suspect aliens. Treating with API pimafix and I was so tempted to shift the ones I think are healthy back to the main tank but I know I can't do that. Sometimes though I think the cure is worse. Need a QT tank to the QT tank :) Plan to go around the lfs tomorrow on the weekend when i have more time. Did you have any luck with anything at all?

Running the UV sterilizer in the main tank 24hrs. I doubt it has the power to do much but just in case and I have it so might as well.

That is bad news, appreciated though as they are not happy campers in the smaller tank and have lost colour. I think they really suspect aliens. Treating with API pimafix and I was so tempted to shift the ones I think are healthy back to the main tank but I know I can't do that. Sometimes though I think the cure is worse. Need a QT tank to the QT tank :) Plan to go around the lfs tomorrow on the weekend when i have more time. Did you have any luck with anything at all? Running the UV sterilizer in the main tank 24hrs. I doubt it has the power to do much but just in case and I have it so might as well.

Nothing, I went to the lfs and explained what It was, they tried to sell me white spot treatment and when I said it wasn't he shrugged his shoulders and walked off... Some people are just so ignorant ! But I'm very limited as to what treatments I can get here, I'm visiting the uk in 2 weeks so I will stock up , better to have the stuff and never use it than try running round over here to find something ! And for some strange reason most fish meds are in German ! Which is strange as it's a Spanish island the last time I checked lol...

lol, not much success here. Mind you the photos are terrible on the phone screen. I picked up a multi-cure but no-one knew and you could hear the bells go off as soon as I mentioned the white spots.

Back
Top Bottom