Unidentifiable Illness- Black Skirt Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partyof5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm like most of the public, no education on fish but wanted a tank. I've done research since and think my tank isn't too bad off considering my ignorance. I need to buy testing supplies for amonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc though since I have none.

If you could tell me what disease this might be it would be a step in the right direction.

All (especially ne large one) of the black skirt tetras that I have show black splotches on them. The splotches that are large are protruding. And the lip of one of the fish is black and seems to be rotting away. The fins are all fine, the fish seem otherwise healthy. I've been treating with PIMAFIX and MELAFIX for 5 days and I did a 30% water change on day 3. I've removed the Activated Carbon from my filter to help the meds.

The only thought I have of something really stupid that I did that could have caused this was-wetting my Hermit Crabs sponges in the aquarium! DAaaaaa! I never thought of cross-contamination until this showed up. Could I have a parasite or worm?

HELP. Is whatever disease this might be contagious to my 2 adult dalamation mollies and my mollie fry?

Thanks to whomever helps!

Symptoms,
• Lumps on the Fish's Body
• Whirling or Spinning
• Discoloration
• Black Pigment on Fishes

Causes,
• Overcrowding
• New Fish
• Overfeeding
• Myxobacterlosis, sometimes called Tetra disease, but unconfirmed.

Commonly affected fish,
• Goldfish
• Tetras * Euthanise in the case of Tetra disease, pretty much incurable.
• Phenocide
• Flukes Control (with Nitrofura-G After 24 hours as a follow-up)
• Hex-A-Mit
• Isolate Infected Fish

I've had this problem with Tetras in the past, I hope its not Tetra disease because it will be best to remove and euthanise any fish showing signs of infection IMHO :( [/b]

My mollies are fine. My fry molly is fine. My placo is fine and so is my tiny catfish.

Spoke with someone by phone and they said maybe overfeeding and overcrowding.

So, here's my question? How many fish in a 10 gallon tank? How much food for 4 tetra, 2 mollies, (I assume the cat and placo are bottom feeders since that's what they sold me to clean the tank.)

Thanks again.
Monica :oops:

I would do an immediate water change for starters as you have no test kit and it is very likely that your fish are suffering from poisioning. I'll keep looking to see what I can find for you in the meantime.

No other symptoms? Flashing, gasping for air, hanging at the top or the bottom of the tank? I'm still suspecting water quality for the problem. Myxobacteriosis is one possibility, at least none others match the symptoms quite so well. http://bluebin.com/disease.html#myxo, this site lists the symptoms and treatment. Water conditions are most likely the main cause, do that water change, probably at least 50%, do another one tomorrow, and get a test kit asap.Good luck.

After looking at your pics I think they look like classic NH3 (Ammonia)burns. You need to test for NH3, NO2 and NO3, we need to know actual test results. You need to do PWC's to lower water toxins.

If you haven't purchased your testing kits yet, I would advise you to buy a liquid reagent kit instead of the strips. The liquid reaget will be more acurate. The Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit is often recommended as a good test kit.

(Welcome to AA :) )

Did a 70% water change Tuesday. The Mollies didn't like it much but seem fine today. Euthanized the largest fish, it was starting to be attacked by the smaller healthier fish and was beginning to act funny. Symptoms: hiding in back of aquarium, listless, lack of eating - used to be the first to get to the food, breathing quickly. 2 of the other tetras have some of this black on the tops of their mouths. They too are hiding and breathing with their mouths open.

When I did that water change all I treated the water with was a dechlor, should I begin the meds again? Should I put in any other tank starter type meds since I'm changing out so much water? Also, dumb question I know but how do you get the new water's temp to the same temp as the tank? I just guessed at the temp by compairing the two but I think that's what stressed the molly.

Also, new symptom, my placo is loosing color on it's lateral line and in a few other places. He's my baby! I can't loose him! What should I do. I'm starting to wonder if this isn't dropsy? That was the only thing that I could find that sounded at least partly right.

HELP HELP! Thanks so much so far!

I don't see my reply post to you about other symptoms. Yes, there are few that I guess my inexperienced eye didn't catch. The tetras seems to be hinding in the back/bottom area of the aquarium, they are breathing rather hard considering they aren't swimming around much, and they used to be the first to dart out and eat and now they just nibble. Also, my placo seems to be loosing color on it's lateral line and it's behaviour is a little different than usualy :( ~ it's not hiding as much. Usually the placo is inside the sunken ship and only comes out when the light is off. Lately, it's out all the time.

I've done a 70-80% water change on Tuesday. I only used Dechlor in the water though, do you think I should continue with the meds? for bacteria and fungus? Should I put the charcoal back in the filter? :? both the mollies and their fry are fine so far. So I hope it's only affecting the tetra. I'm going to get a kit tomorrow to do the testing (just really strapped for $ right now- medical bills!)

Any other advice?

Thank you soooo much for taking the time to help me out here and not judge me by my ignorance. I truly care for my fish and never realized how much it takes to keep them all healthy and happy. I'd hate to loose any of my sons fish- we got the tank because the first time he had surgery the fish tank at the Dr. office was the only thing that got him to try to walk afterward! He's 4 now and loves the tank and all of the fish!

You're awesome!
Monica

partyof5 said:
I don't see my reply post to you about other symptoms. Yes, there are few that I guess my inexperienced eye didn't catch. The tetras seems to be hinding in the back/bottom area of the aquarium, they are breathing rather hard considering they aren't swimming around much, and they used to be the first to dart out and eat and now they just nibble. Also, my placo seems to be loosing color on it's lateral line and it's behaviour is a little different than usualy :( ~ it's not hiding as much. Usually the placo is inside the sunken ship and only comes out when the light is off. Lately, it's out all the time.
It still screams ammonia to me, but I could be wrong...
Typical Symptoms
The effects of ammonia burns usually do not appear until 2 or 3 days after being exposed. Signs to look for are ragged or frayed fins, cloudy eyes, rapid gilling, and a lack of appetite. Red blotches or streaks may also appear on a fish's body, which is a typical symptom associated with bacterial infections.

Recommended Treatment
Notice of effective treatment can usually be seen in 3 to 5 days. However, treatment should be continued until the fish is eating normally, at which time it can then be returned to the main tank. Here's what to do:

Isolate the fish in a quarantine tank, and follow proper QT protocol.
Treat the fish in the QT with a quality gram positive-negative antibiotic or antibacterial medication.
If the fish CANNOT be isolated in a QT, the main tank can be treated with the antibiotic. HOWEVER, caution should be taken if you do this to NOT overdose the tank, as most antibiotics can damage and even completely kill off the biological filter in a tank.

We all know the co$t involved and have been there too, we're rooting for you and your fish.

Where do I get these antibiotics for my tank?

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try to pick up the test stuff Sat. (after payday!) The I'll post the numbers.

partyof5 said:
Where do I get these antibiotics for my tank?

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try to pick up the test stuff Sat. (after payday!) The I'll post the numbers.
Most LFS's carry antibiotics, parasititic and fungals or you can buy them on line at such outlets as www.bigalsonline.com.
We keep a supply of Maracyn, MaracynII, Paragon, ParagonII, antibacterial & antiparasite medicated food for emergencies, better to have it and not need it.
Just remmeber to rotate out medicines after expiration date.

Back
Top Bottom