Unknown Sickness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnimalArtist

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been attempting to treat my 10 gallon tank with a variety of medications for two months now, but nothing seems to be helping my fish. I have a black molly and four small Cory catfish in the tank. At first, I thought it was ich, and treated it with malachite green. But then, lesions started appearing, resembling columnaris. I treated the tank with 2 rounds of kanamycin and Triple Sulfa. Pale white splotches began appearing on my corries, but never developed any further. Now, the corries have holes behind their front fins (oddly excluding my albino. He seems immune to pretty much everything). More white dots then appeared in smaller numbers, but they were to small to be ich. I flashed my flashlight on my black molly and she shimmered gold in the light, suggesting freshwater velvet. Each fish (excluding the albino again) now has a hole somewhere near their gill plates, my molly being the worst. At this point, I am considering euthanasia as I have tried salt treatment, heat treatment, paraguard, ickremedy, kanamycin, Triple Sulfa, melafix, herbtana (out of desperation), and I even just left it alone for about a week to rebuild the biofilter. I'm stumped because most ignore the deseases described should have killed any of my fish within that week on no treatment, and yet, all of them are still alive. I've included pictures, but my phone camera can't capture how bad they really look. I also would have added more than four, but it wouldn't let me.IMG_6430.jpg

IMG_6477.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg

IMG_6405.jpg
My water parameters are as follows:
pH-7
Nitrites-0
Nitrates- maybe 10 (I'm using strips so it's hard to tell)
Ammonia- .25 (I'm going to do water changes)
I have no live plants in the tank. There is a bubbler, and an aqueon filter. Hope you can help!

Last edited:
Here are some more photos:[ATTACH]309583._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]309584._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]309585._xfImport[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]309586._xfImport[/ATTACH]

The problem might be something as simple as ammonia burn or as serious as Columnaris,
strain 3 or 4. What ever the illness is, you've kept it knocked down with the Molotov cocktail of meds thrown at it. Regarding Oodinium / Velvet, IMO, Copper based meds work better.
I'd lay off the meds and concentrate on keeping the water pristine. If you notice the white discoloration spreading, probably best to euthanize and write the illness off as Columnaris.
There's usually no happy endings regarding Columnaris, no matter what strain. The first 2 strains kill very fast and are probable tank killers. Strain 3 is a slow lingering death. Strain 4 might be treatable if caught early enough.

The problem might be something as simple as ammonia burn or as serious as Columnaris,
strain 3 or 4. What ever the illness is, you've kept it knocked down with the Molotov cocktail of meds thrown at it. Regarding Oodinium / Velvet, IMO, Copper based meds work better.
I'd lay off the meds and concentrate on keeping the water pristine. If you notice the white discoloration spreading, probably best to euthanize and write the illness off as Columnaris.
There's usually no happy endings regarding Columnaris, no matter what strain. The first 2 strains kill very fast and are probable tank killers. Strain 3 is a slow lingering death. Strain 4 might be treatable if caught early enough.
Should I euthanize all of them or just the molly? I know my three striped Cory and my albino Cory seem to be showing almost no signs of illness at all, but my peppered corries are. None are nearly as bad as the molly though. Thanks for your insight!

That's always a judgement call. I probably would put the Mollie out of his misery, but ride it out a little longer with the tankmates. I don't know your water maintenence routine, but I change out 40% - 50% of my tanks water every week w / thorough gravel vac. Seems to keep the bad bugs away and the water crystal clear. Hope things level out soon.

Back
Top Bottom