Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2004, 10:01 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Unkown fish Disease(s)

Okay, I noticed that my Molly looked like her skin was "falling off" so I moved her to my hospital tank. She's been in there for a couple days and no signs of getting better just getting worse. Her tail fin is starting to be brownish on the edges and her skin still looks bad. I've been looking up info on fish diseases but can't seem to figure out what this is... If ANYONE could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-11-2004, 11:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Bigdan Send a message via Yahoo to Bigdan
I'm no expert, but it sounds like fin rot. Fresh water and medicating with Melafix would be a good start to helping your Molly.

Sorry to hear, and wish you luck!

Old 02-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I am going to slip this thread on over to unhealthy fish.

I agree that Melafix would be a good place to start. I have had a lot of luck using it for fin rot. Check your water parameters as well, as often a dip in water quality can bring this on.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What are the water parameters, especially ammonia? It sounds like ammonia burns with a resultant bacterial infection. Fresh water, as mentioned, is a must, but Melafix won't be effective in this case; its just not strong enough. I'd look into a broad spectrum antibiotic like Kanacyn.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, fish disease

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com