Unsure what this white mark hanging off fantail fin is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

agrant77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

We just got 3 fantail goldfish last Saturday, and added some hornwort that we bought online a few days later to help control for nitrates. One of the fish got ick (had sand-like white spots on him) shortly after, and we added "ick guard" yesterday and that appears to have eliminated it from him (he's all clear now). The fish didn't overly like the "ick guard" so I'm not doing a 2nd treatment (have ordered some less toxic stuff which will arrive on Tuesday and which I'll use to try to ensure all the ick is gone).

But, one of our fish who's been lethargic since we got him now has white spots hanging off his tail. It doesn't look like the ick on the other fish, as it appears attached to him rather than on him, and I can't find anything online that it looks like. I've attached a pic and am hoping someone here can help me identify what is on our fish so we can properly treat him.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 64
  • photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 67
Welcome to AA!!!

Can you please provide some more information so that we can better help you?

Tank size?
Filtration?
Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? Gh and kh will also be helpful!
Water change schedule?
How long the tank has had fish and if it was cycled with an ammonia source before adding them?
Exact stock?

Perhaps it's the angle of your picture but it appears that the fish in question is a single tail common goldfish? Can you please post pictures of all your fish? The fish in question is developing fin rot possibly combined with a secondary fungal infection. The most common cause is poor water quality. Addressing water quality issues is the first step in addressing any fish health issue as poor water quality is responsible for more than 90% of fish health issues. Once we have more information, we can make further suggestions on the best means for addressing the multiple issues at hand! Feel free to ask any questions!! :)

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We lost the fish last night. But here's the response in general in case something seems amiss:

Tank size? 30 gallons
Filtration? Fluval c4, with seachem matrix
Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? Gh and kh will also be helpful! 0, 0, & now under 20 (hornwort appears to have helped a lot with that as our tap water is above 20) I don't know the gh & kh. How would I measure that?
Water change schedule? only been one week, but 1-2 times a week
How long the tank has had fish and if it was cycled with an ammonia source before adding them? One week, and yes, it was a fish less cycle.
Exact stock? Now, 2 fantail (??) goldfish

The remaining fish appear to be swimming well. I bought paraguard, which will be here Monday and plan on treating the tank for the recommended time.

I am very sorry :(

Do either of the other two fish have any similar symptoms? Can you possibly post pictures of the other two so we can help you with an ID? Paraguard should knock out any remaining ich (even if it may not visible). Just keep a watch on your parameters for any possible spikes. Feel free to ask any questions!

Back
Top Bottom