Untimely Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

poppab02

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I have ich. and I have no idea how I got it. I qt and it's been at least a couple weeks since any new fish have been added from the qt. That's really not the problem though. I have to leave tomorrow for 4 days.

Ok so here's the dilemna. Can I raise the temp quicker if I'm careful to watch the fish? It's basically my only choice, either that or just wait 4 days to treat. I've already started upping the temp and since I keep it usually around 80-81 I only have to raise it 5-6 degrees.

As far as salt goes. I've added it already. Do I need to add more salt when I get back? Or do you only need to add salt when you add more water?

If you have any advice please add it quickly because in under 24 hours I'll be leaving

Add salt to replenish the levels when you do a water change. Once the salt is up to "treatment" levels you don't need to add any more salt.

I say raise the temps 2 degrees every 6 hours and the fish should be able to handle it...but if you are treating with salt it is unnecessary to raise the temps all the way to 86. You could just raise the temps 1 degree every 6 hours to keep stress levels in your fish down (for better immune system response in the fish) and then let the salt do the work of killing off the parasites.

Back
Top Bottom