Unusual death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piscesgrrl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I just witnessed my angelfish die within 5 minutes. He was happy and swimming around with all the other fish. I then fed them bloodworms and some flakes. After feeding he was then sitting at the surface breathing and yhen a minute passed and he just sunk to the bottom like he was paralysed. His gills moved only once or twice after that. I just cannot believe how quick it was.

I have a 6ft tank with two bubblers, so plenty of oxygen. The water is kept at perfect ph and hardness is fine. Temperature is 27°C

I have stock of
4 platys
3 Serpae tetras
7 angels (now minus 1 ?)
3 bristlenose
4 bala sharks
4 corys

Can someone please let me know what happened or if they had a similar experience. I just really don't understand what just happened!?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just checked my water
GH 60
KH 120
PH 6.5
NO2 0
NO3 20

My filter is a Aquaone Nautilus 2700

I change 20% of the water each week

I have had the angels over 2 years
Platys, sharks and tetras for one month
And corys and bristlenose for a year

Sorry for your loss.

It could have died from natural causes, a stroke or something like that.

It sounds like he had a good life with you. :)

I'm guessing it didn't, but do you think it might have gotten some food stuck and choked? I'm really sorry you had to see that happen.

I'm guessing it didn't, but do you think it might have gotten some food stuck and choked? I'm really sorry you had to see that happen.

Can a fish choke? I've heard others talk about fish choking, too, but fish breath through their gills which are like lungs on the sides of their head. Even with something stuck in their mouth they could still breath through their gills, right? :)

Either way, it is sad to see a beautiful creature pass away before your eyes. So sorry. :-(

Can a fish choke? I've heard others talk about fish choking, too, but fish breath through their gills which are like lungs on the sides of their head. Even with something stuck in their mouth they could still breath through their gills, right? :)

Either way, it is sad to see a beautiful creature pass away before your eyes. So sorry. :-(

I'm pretty sure fish take in the water through their mouths and then it passes through their gills.

I didn't know if they can choke or have heart attacks. It just really took me by surprise. Poor little fella. I just felt really helpless :(

Thanks everyone for the understanding. I hate when people think 'meh, it was just a fish'. They are still pets and still loved!

The tanks been there for over a year. The nitrates have always been that level, I change the water every week and I do a gravel vaccuum.

Thanks everyone for the understanding. I hate when people think 'meh, it was just a fish'. They are still pets and still loved!

Instead of "meh, it was just a fish," people should say, "Oh no! It was an entire living breathing thinking creature!"

I've seen a pygmy cory choke on a blood worm...it is possible

Sorry for your loss ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom