Unusual deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep a ten gallon guppy tank. For some reason, many months apart, two females have died. No other fish become ill. My only other problem with this tank is my large male's fin which are constantly getting finrot or snagging on something, even though I have filed down my DW.
Anyway, these two females had similar symptoms.
Female one was a small black guppy, not very old at all. Maybe 8 months? She started refusing food, she became very skinny(she was pregnant also), and started lying on the bottom of the tank. I transferred her to a plastic cup that I punctured and floated in the tank, because she was being harassed by other fish. A day later, she died. I treated the tank before her death with parasite medication.
Female two was a large orange guppy, probably about 1 1/2 years old. She stopped becoming pregnant, continued eating, but became very skinny. She seemed to have some trouble with swimming. These symptoms went on for much longer than the other female's and did not seem as severe. She died a few days ago. No medicine was used for her treatment.

So, anyone have any clues into the deaths of these fish? I don't want it to happen to any other fish in my tank.

I know stress can highly reduce the immune system, so this might be a probability. As for the 2 female fish, I would suspect some type of internal parasite or any other pathogen. Monitor closely you're other fish. Keep treating the tank for a bit until you are sure that no other fish is ill. Also, I really couldn't answer you on the fin rot part, it's a mystery for me too.

Back
Top Bottom