Unusual Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ketchum326

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Molly that has been self impregnating since this past March. It has done it at least three times, each time giving birth to 20ish babies. Now the Molly has been swimming vertically with its head down often, but always corrects itself. It also has been wiggling while swimming every so often. There’s a leopard pleco, a bristlenose pleco, six baby mollies (large enough to not be eaten), three Cory catfish, three zebra danio, and an assassin snail also in the tank. I have been feeding every other night (one pinch of flakes and three algae wafers) for the past month or so. Now in the past two weeks, two gobies that were in the tank have died and so has a baby Molly. I’m not sure if the adult Molly is pregnant again because it is so large all the time. The tank is a 29 gallon. Please offer whatever assistance you can!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 25
Female Molly's can hold a males sperm for many months after the initial lock-in as for swimming vertically it could be swim bladder disorder, which is caused by an underlying disease, what are your ppms how long has the tank be cycled

@kaphillips438 I am planning on getting the water tested tomorrow. Usually when I’ve had a Molly (or any fish) with swim bladder disease, it has not been able to self-correct at all/for long and they’ve died pretty shortly after symptoms emerge. There are no other adult mollies in the tank; unfortunately they all died a few months ago. I did a 25% water change today.

Back
Top Bottom