Unusual Red Spots on Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, my gold barb started developing a small red spot on his side a few weeks ago. It has since expanded to about five times the size it was when it started. The only other change is that he's not acting as outgoing and seems to be hiding a bit, but is otherwise swimming and eating fine. None of my other fish are affected and all the water params are fine. Anyone know what this is? Here are some pics:

img_2336984_0_168e4a1403e39d9caec228bdf12b9592.jpg

img_2336984_1_35952b3b0c317024c9ff6a1e39fe921f.jpg

I know there are some bacteria infections that start out just like this. Did you add any new fish recently, or has that fish been bullied at all? Also, When was the last water change?

Last water change was a few days ago and every other week before that. I did add an apisto about a month before the spots showed up on my gold barb but he didn't make it and died a couple of weeks ago. He was very overprotective of his territory and tended to chase the other fish a bit but I never saw him outright bully anyone. The other fish just sort of learned to stay out of his way and everything seemed fine. I don't think the apisto was carrying anything either. I've gotten fish from the same store before and they have good healthy stock there.

I did notice both of my gold barbs occasionally rubbing up against the decorations which I know can be a sign of disease but there were never any outward signs of ich of anything on their scales that would cause them to rub. None of my other fish ever rubbed up against decorations and my other gold barb that did is just fine. This seems to have just cropped up out of nowhere.

A bacterial infection may not make the fish flash, The first thing I would do is start changing 35-50% of your water at least weekly. Every other week isn't really often enough.

How big is the tank, and do you have exact readings for the water parameters?

Also, what else is in the tank with this guy?

params are ammonia:0 nitrite:0 nitrate:20ppm. In with the gold barb is another gold barb, 3 albino cherry barbs, 1 german blue ram, and 6 neon tetras.

Okay, what is the tank size?

You could try treating with Pimafix/ Melafix, you can get it at most chain petstores like petsmart. Or I think Walmart carries it too. Just make sure you remove any active carbon, and follow the directions for the full dosing.

I got both Melafix and Pimafix since I wasn't sure if it was bacterial or fungal or both. The bottles said that they work better when used in conjunction anyway. After the first dose last night, I may be a bit optimistic but the area doesn't look as inflamed to me. The red area seems flatter and less irritated. That medicine sure has a strong smell though! It stunk up my whole living room!

I'll be adding the third dose tonight but after only two treatments I can now definitely see improvement. The red area has gotten smaller and my gold barb seems more outgoing. He's playing more with the other gold barb now. There are still some red spots but they're much smaller and not as raised or inflamed as before. I'll keep updating but he's looking much better.

That's great to hear! Make sure you do a large water change after the whole treatment is complete.

Back
Top Bottom