Update and new questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laurencallen74

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,
I have my initial thread here and wanted to know if my fish:
(Oranda)
-Sits in the bottom of the tank (46 gal. )
-Still eats
- Active at times, but comparatively before with old tank, not very.
-Had a white spot like a pimple on his cheek and then it was gone and had a reddish sore (gone 3 hours later).

The Ryukin is active, but clearly concerned for her buddy.

I have done daily 25% PWC's and treat with Prime and Stability.

I also have salted the tank for 2 days.

Is my poor guy gonna have any chance at turning the corner?

Ammonia: 0-0.25 Closer to O.
Nitrite:0-0.25/closer to O.

:(

Story below:

Hello all,
Being a novice fishkeeper, I feel I may have done my beloved fancies a great disservice.

Short story:
I had two fancies gifted to my 5 year old over a year ago. I had no idea what I was doing with these fish in a 10 gallon tank. As I read up, I realized these two were probably grossly over crammed. At first I'm sure we over fed. Then, Bob got a cloudy eye and unfortunately passed. (after 3 months)

Enter more studying on fish.

We got a 25 gallon and didn't probably cycle properly. I made the unfortunate decision to listen to a friend who has remarkably sturdy goldies that defy every odd when it comes to surviving a transfer.

Stripe (my son named him and funny enough, we have no idea if it's a male and he has no stripes!) is my buddy, and I got this 46 gallon for 2 goldfish. I should have left well enough alone.

File under "No good deed goes unpunished". (had I thoroughly researched and not listened to LFS or friend I may not be in this sitch!)

We set up the tank, used prime in the water, and did NOT cycle. I didn't listen to the nitrogen cycle info because I was sold products that I was told would work instead and I wanted Stripe to have more room.

He is an oranda. He and our new addition Bella adore each other, and did well despite having me as their keeper.

Only now that I got a 46 gallon for them have I realized what a bad study I have been.

I read everything late.

I used the old gravel, one small filter with the old media, (transferred directly from old tank) a new emperor 280 (with more old media in it) and live plants from old tank along with some new ones and 2 moss balls.

24 hours running, used prime and Seachem's Head Start kit with stability. I bubble wand and a bubble stone. added tiny bits of fish food.

I really thought I was doing right by them and felt proud. So after 24 hours I added them after temp acclimation.

I have the API master test kit. My ammonia (it's day 3) is at 0-0.25 Nitrite at 0.25. My water is hard so the PH is at about 7.5. (don't worry, I used prime to dechlor)

Today I did a 25% water change.

My oranda swims around, but tends to favor the bottom corner. The other fantail is very active, but loves her buddy so she is always checking on him.

He also has vague veins that are red in his tail.

I'm so sad. Has anyone has fancies survive the nitrogen cycle? I'll be so sad if they pass because all this expensive upgrading is just for the happiness of two fancy goldfish.

So much conflicting advice out there.

Any thoughts on what I can do to try to help them survive this cycle, or are they doomed because of me?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated, and please be gentle, I feel crappy enough as it is.

Thanks a million,
Lauren, Stripe, and Bella.

Hi! I dont know if you have gotten any help with your fancies (im a fancy goldfish fanatic) or if they are still alive but i just came upon your post. If you still need help, please let me know!!!! jessica

Back
Top Bottom