Upgraded tank now my angle fish aren't acting to well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I upgraded my tank yesterday and I added almost all the water from my original tank. My concern is that my angel fish are acting sick along with some of my other fish they are hovering to one side of the tank. Also my angel fish who were very social by coming to the front of the tank when I'd approach it but now they don't and also won't eat! Any suggestions would greatly be helpful the ph is at 7.5

Did you move the old filter to the new tank?

What are your other levels?
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Jon

Hi and welcome to AA. As already asked more information will help. Such as the filter,was it moved over aswell? Also the other water parameters will help - especially the ammonia reading?

No I got a new filter system also instead of cartridges it takes Bag inserts and sponge the ph is at 7.5 the others I'm not sure of the guy at the pet store said check ph so I bought a ph tester

My angel fish are swimming facing straight up not a dying float but just really odd they usually come to the front of the tank when I approach it but they're not now

Scoot35 said:
My angel fish are swimming facing straight up not a dying float but just really odd they usually come to the front of the tank when I approach it but they're not now

Did you use any old filter media in the new tank? The water apparently doesn't contain much of the good bacteria to eliminate ammonia and nitrite, so you may have an ammonia spike from there being no bacteria to eat it. You should consider getting an API master test kit and some seachem prime(water conditioner that neutralizes chlorine chloramines and ammonia) once you test the water you can decide what's might be causing the issues and how to fix it. As far as sickness with no specific symptoms other then swimming funny its hard to say.

From what I understand most beneficial bacteria is in the gravel and filter cartridges, not so much the water itself! Your tank could be cycling. As previously suggested, testing your tanks parameters would be helpful... If ammonia is high it could be very damaging to your fish.

Good luck!

Did you use any old filter media in the new tank? The water apparently doesn't contain much of the good bacteria to eliminate ammonia and nitrite, so you may have an ammonia spike from there being no bacteria to eat it. You should consider getting an API master test kit and some seachem prime(water conditioner that neutralizes chlorine chloramines and ammonia) once you test the water you can decide what's might be causing the issues and how to fix it. As far as sickness with no specific symptoms other then swimming funny its hard to say.

Looks like you got to this one before me (slow to post on my phone). Sorry for my redundant response!

Would Walmart carry these test because if so my wife is gonna get them for me now im at work and our local pet stores are closed

If you still have your old filter run it along side your new one so your bb and seed the new one.

My nitrite and nitrate levels were high I'm hoping my angels pull through they're fighting to stay alive

Scoot35 said:
My nitrite and nitrate levels were high I'm hoping my angels pull through they're fighting to stay alive

Water changes water changes water changes :) how high was nitrite??? Do water changes everyday, I know it seems like a pain but the more you do, the more likely your fish are to survive without issues. Test every couple of days until you no longer have ammonia and nitrites, nitrates are expected under 40ppm is ok under 20 ppm is best. With frequent water changes to remove nitrites the nitrates likely won't get over 10ppm, which is great. Amazon has the API liquid test kits for 20$ with free super savers shipping if you buy over (25$) I think worth of stuff.

You can also go to your local fish store or someone you know who has a tank and ask for an old filter sponge or shake a filter in tank water to get some bacteria out and add that to your tank to help speed up the re-cycling process. Good luck!

Thanks ill go to my local pet store tomorrow I'm not sure how high the levels were my wife check them while I was at work when I get home I'm gonna check them again

Thanks for the advise ill go to the pet store in the morning and see what they have as in old filters and I'm not sure on levels my wife checked them while I was as work ill check when I get home

Watch your feeding and don't feed too much, lots of tests and water changes.

A common misunderstanding of a filter, is that the purpose is just for filtering!!!

I nearly killed my own fish several years ago giving them new, clean filter media several times in a couple weeks. But after being here at AA, I am reformed! No more changing filter pads unless it falls apart and you need to know that its getting bad and can piggyback one in there with the old one for a few weeks.

As a side note - do not rinse/clean the filter pad with tap water, only conditioned water or old tank water, as the additives in the tap water are made to kill your beneficial bacteria (BB) and make it safe for us to drink...

Rocks and decorations can have some BB which might help.

Thanks a lot for the advise I didn't realize that about filter changes but I feed my fish once daily and only enough to where it doesn't settle on the bottom

Back
Top Bottom