Urgent: Can't figure out what's wrong with my betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RitGeo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!
I was gifted a betta and a nano tank (1.6 gal) about a week ago. I was only able to cycle the tank for most part of a day and had to introduce him to the tank by night because I was told that he had already spent four days in the tub that he had come in, and that it would not be advisable to leave him in there for longer.
In these few days, I have noticed that the filter current in my betta's tank is too strong for him and I modified his filter a couple of times. Today I decided to do away with the filter, and replace it with a sponge filter and airpump. However tonight I see my betta has buried his head in the gravel and is sleeping with his tail up. He had been laying low the past few days because of the filter current and he couldn't swim up to get his food. Today I noticed his food pellets in the gravel, and realized he hasn't been eating either and I see him rubbing against the ornament and the bottom of the previous filter (when I had it in there). I also added bacteria into the tank three days to help the tank along. I wonder if he might be suffering from velvet. I don't have a way of telling. I will be doing a 25 percent water change tomorrow to see if it helps him. At this point I'm not sure if he's unhappy and feeling insecure because of all the changes, or if things would be better if I did the water change. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance. ��

1.6g is way too small for fish. I know of very experienced fish keepers keeping bettas healthy in 2.5g but generally 5g should be minimum for keeping fish in.

I have a 2.5g tank for quarantine purposes and i would never consider keeping a fish in there long term.

Small tanks are very hard to maintain good water quality.

1.6g is way too small for fish. I know of very experienced fish keepers keeping bettas healthy in 2.5g but generally 5g should be minimum for keeping fish in.

I have a 2.5g tank for quarantine purposes and i would never consider keeping a fish in there long term.

Small tanks are very hard to maintain good water quality.

Thank you for the quick response! I don't intend to keep him in the little tank longer. I have a 36g tank that currently houses 10 guppy fry in it. I was waiting for them to grow a bit before introducing the betta to it. But at this point it looks like I should get a 5g at least for the betta, since his condition seems to be worsening.

I would also def recommend a bigger tank but in the meantime do you have a way to turn down the flow on the sponge filter? They make little plastic pieces you can buy that have a dial you can use to adjust it down.

Back
Top Bottom