URGENT diagnosis required!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess1982

Aquarium Advice Activist
Background: Have succesfully defeated a nasty bout of Ich to then have my white moor develop what I thought was a secondary bacterial infection which I thought was septecimia. I treated with tetracycline (all I could get in the UK) and it started to look better. It has now come back with a vengeance. I have just lost my ryukin to some unknown issue (he already had severe swimbladder issues - they were sharing the same tank and I fear he had been dead in there for at least 12 hours while I was at work today) and I am terrified of losing anymore fish. I have attached pics - please help! :thanks:

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 48
What are your tank specs ?

How are water conditions ?

Goldfish need big tanks and clean well oxygenated water to thrive. Plus a good diet.

If I read profile right your tank is about 47g with 6 Goldfish ?? Im sure youve been told its way overcrowded with fish. I know they are small but they are poop machines. You have room for 2 or 3 Goldfish with filtration for 100g tank and large water changes weekly.

Soak flakes before feeding. Feed shelled peas at least 1x a week. Feed Spinach or Zucchini as well.

Also Common GF often out compete Fancies for food. I'd rehome it to a nice pond.

Check either ammonia poisoning or nitrate poisoning.

75% pwc and then maybe another, what are your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels?

Clean water can't hurt really only help and by then maybe some one more experienced can help more.

I moved the fish into this hospital tank 2 weeks ago to treat for white spot and then septicemia.
The hospital tank info - 54 litres, just this one fish as the other just passed away, 1 x filter, 1 x air stone, currently 26 degrees celcius (raised it to treat Ich)

Just done an emergency water change (2 x 50% back to back) Readings now:
ammonia - 0.50ppm
nitrite - 0.25ppm
nitrate - 10ppm (as it comes out the tap)

water treated with prime

The levels are so bad as the tank was treated with tetracycline last week and the ammonia levels have been spiking ever since. I have been doing daily water changes of 2 x 50% back to back to try to get the levels back done again.

If this is just down to high ammonia etc then I can move her back into the big tank with the others as the tank is cycled and the water is perfect. But I am reluctant to do so in case this is something the other fish can catch from her.

p.s haven't updated my profile in a while and it was incorrect. i upgraded to a 450 litre tank ages ago. have updated my profile now.

Does she have any open holes or wounds, maybe look up Hexamitiasis. I think this could be water quality, once they have an issue they are so sensitive to water issues. It is heartbreaking to see them suffer.

Fish illness are something I am not well versed in, just a few personal experiences.

I would start putting the temp back down gradually if the treatment for Ich is over. Also up the oxygen if possible to full blast if it is adjustable. Lower water level an inch or so if its a HOB and if you don't think it is an additional illness, then put her back, I would move the air pump to the other tank for extra oxygen. You can always buy an extra little pump as a backup anyway.

What is the stocking for the other tank, is it understocked or at the edge, maybe an additional filter is in order? The need so much filtration, the big poopers! You will want to make sure the other tank is in excellent condition and not forget to keep checking on it every day for awhile.

The advice given to me was that clean water cures many problems.

You said it has salt in the water too? What measurements per gallon?

Hope your baby gets better.

I have Koi and goldfish in my pond and I don't keep them inside in my tank anymore, not enough room and I miss them.

My other tank is understocked - 450 litres with just 5 fish at the moment. I have a Pleco in another hospital tank as I couldn't treat him with salt for the ich. I moved this moor and the ryukin into this hospital tank as they had the worst case of white spot along with what i thought was septicemia. I am now wondering if it is just horrendous ammonia or nitrate burns as the hospital tank was uncycled and what good bacteria I put in with used filter material from the cycled tank was killed by the meds.

If it's ammonia burns I need to put her back in the other tank, if it's septicemia I need to treat her with antibiotics. I just don't know which it is. Does anyone have any experience with ammonia burns/ septicemia that can help me diagnose??

My other tank is understocked - 450 litres with just 5 fish at the moment. I have a Pleco in another hospital tank as I couldn't treat him with salt for the ich. I moved this moor and the ryukin into this hospital tank as they had the worst case of white spot along with what i thought was septicemia. I am now wondering if it is just horrendous ammonia or nitrate burns as the hospital tank was uncycled and what good bacteria I put in with used filter material from the cycled tank was killed by the meds.

If it's ammonia burns I need to put her back in the other tank, if it's septicemia I need to treat her with antibiotics. I just don't know which it is. Does anyone have any experience with ammonia burns/ septicemia that can help me diagnose??

Diseases happen when fish are stressed, overcrowded or water quality isn't good at least those are the main factors in most cases.

What are main tank specs ?

5 fish ? What kind ? If 5 Goldfish may still be overstocked.

What temperature ? You mention a heater. Warm water has less oxygen. Goldfish prefer cool water.

What are your readings on main tank ??

Main tank is 450 litres which I believe is 100 or so US gallons.
1 x pleco (just been moved from another tank)
1 x black moor
1 x white ranchu
1 x chocolate pom pom
1 x red car oranda
1 x common goldfish (she is being rehomed to a pond in the summer)

The temp was raised to 26 degrees to treat the ich (hence the current heater) but is gradually being reduced back to normal (around 23 or so) and I have added an extra air stone as I know warmer water has less oxygen.

I know that my tank is NOT overstocked. The common is being rehomed and I know that mixing single tailed goldfish ith fancies is not ideal but I rescued her from a bowl. This is a better temporary solution for her.

This all started when I brought a new goldfish which introduced ich to all the fish. I had to seperate the pleco as he cannot tolerate certain meds, and then the moor and ryukin as they developed what looked like a secondary infection afterwards. The ryukin unfortnuately passed away today but he had major swimbladder issues anyway so the stress was too much for the little guy. The ryukin and moor were treated with antibiotics which killed off the bb hence why the water parameters in the hospital tank are now undesirable. I am wondering if the red streaks is the septicemia coming back or now whether the high ammonia levels are causing poisoning.

So i know what caused this whole situation, and my tank stocking etc is just fine - what I need to know is is this now septicemia or ammonia poisoning?

Main tank is 450 litres which I believe is 100 or so US gallons.
1 x pleco (just been moved from another tank)
1 x black moor
1 x white ranchu
1 x chocolate pom pom
1 x red car oranda
1 x common goldfish (she is being rehomed to a pond in the summer)

The temp was raised to 26 degrees to treat the ich (hence the current heater) but is gradually being reduced back to normal (around 23 or so) and I have added an extra air stone as I know warmer water has less oxygen.

I know that my tank is NOT overstocked. The common is being rehomed and I know that mixing single tailed goldfish ith fancies is not ideal but I rescued her from a bowl. This is a better temporary solution for her.

This all started when I brought a new goldfish which introduced ich to all the fish. I had to seperate the pleco as he cannot tolerate certain meds, and then the moor and ryukin as they developed what looked like a secondary infection afterwards. The ryukin unfortnuately passed away today but he had major swimbladder issues anyway so the stress was too much for the little guy. The ryukin and moor were treated with antibiotics which killed off the bb hence why the water parameters in the hospital tank are now undesirable. I am wondering if the red streaks is the septicemia coming back or now whether the high ammonia levels are causing poisoning.

So i know what caused this whole situation, and my tank stocking etc is just fine - what I need to know is is this now septicemia or ammonia poisoning?

Got it. Thanks for clarifying.
Sorry cant tell from pix about Septicemia. But I'd do everything to keep that fish in zero Ammonia water.

Thanks. Yes I think you are right about the zero ammonia so I just moved her into a small cycled tank to monitor her for 48hrs. I'm hoping if it's the high ammonia that's the problem she will show signs of improvement soon. If not I will go back in with the antibiotics and treat for septicemia. So hard to know what to do. :-(

Back
Top Bottom