Urgent help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsFreshwater

Aquarium Advice Regular
My angelfish keeps staying at the bottom of the tank sometime lying on the side and is breathing VERY heavily and squirming however the other 2 angelfish and 3 tetra are perfectly fine??.

First, it's very important to determine why it isn't eating. Stress can come from many sources that might cause them to stop feeding. Are there any symptoms other than not eating? If the fish swims normally, looks normal and acts normal, then it's not likely a bacterial infection or an external parasite. It could have an internal parasite such as a nematode, flagellate or other parasite. It could also be recovering from the stress of transportation or frequent tank changes.

Unless you have a microscope and the knowledge to identify the possible parasites, then the best course of action is a heat treatment. Caution: do not use heat if the fish is bloated, fins are clamped, has a thick slime coat,has ragged fins or red streaks in the body/fins

Raise the temperature over a period of 24 hrs to 95-96F. Hold it there for 7-10 days. Make sure aeration is good. When feeding, offer only one bite to each fish. It's very important to not offer more, even if they eat the bite. If they don't eat it within 2 minutes, remove the uneaten food. If you do not, then expect to fail. Food left in water of this temperature will spoil very quickly and will likely turn the fish off to that particular food forever. If the fish does eat the bite, then repeat this procedure every few hours for the next 2 days. After that,slightly increase the amount of food offered each day until it is eating normally. Slowly lower the temperature over the next 24 hours.

Vindogg I think you may be right I went away for a week and my Neighbour looking after it left unbeaten food spoiling at the bottom of the tank after that the angelfish ate a tetra and has not ate anything else?

Well it is know for them to eat tetras if the angel fish are big enough but I dont think that will have anything to do with it

How do your water parameters look? The weakest fish will succumb to poor water conditions first. If you were away & the tank is full of rotting food, I would start by addressing this first before considering any type of treatment. Once the tank is healthy and if she then doesnt improve, then you can consider treatment options. Is she or any other fish new?

Last edited:
jlk said:
How do your water parameters look? The weakest fish will succumb to poor water conditions first. If you were away & the tank is full of rotting food, I would start by addressing this first before considering any type of treatment. Once the tank is healthy and if she then doesnt improve, then you can consider treatment options. Is she or any other fish new?

Agreed. Check you water quality. Maybe it time to do a water change... How long has the tank been set up? How big is it what's all in it? You should provide as much info as you can see you can get a better understanding of what's going on.

Unfortunately the fish has died I did a water check everything seemed fine it was a 20 uk gallon tank with 2 other angel fish and 3 tetra.....my guess is old age but I'm unsure on the age as they were given to me when my friend left the country already fully developed.

Thanks for the help though if anyone else has any ideas why it may have died I would really like to know to prevent it happening to the others which seem perfectly fine?

Back
Top Bottom