Urgent help - Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
huh I took close to 50 pics, but none of them are clear enough to upload. Anyway, here is the current status. The original 2 spots are still there. And now there are more in the first fish and the second fish has a couple of spots as well. All the spots are only in the tail in both fishes. Also, I noticed the tail is kind of thinning or becoming lighter color in 2 spots. And both fish are actively swimming, eating and pooping. I'll keep trying to get some pics. Thanks all.

Here are couple of pics.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 42
  • Two.jpg
    Two.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 42
I'm still treating my tank, 4 weeks since I started, what I've read says treat for at least 1 week after all visible signs have disappeared, i will be treating mine for 2 weeks after all signs have disappeared ( ive got just under a week to go) I tried increasing the temp in my tank to 28'c for a week to speed up the life cycle but I lost the 3 most infested fish, I will never use heat to treat ich again! Just keep treating it and ride it out.. The guy at my lfs also put me onto a vitamin c powder to help the fish out

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm still treating my tank, 4 weeks since I started, what I've read says treat for at least 1 week after all visible signs have disappeared, i will be treating mine for 2 weeks after all signs have disappeared ( ive got just under a week to go) I tried increasing the temp in my tank to 28'c for a week to speed up the life cycle but I lost the 3 most infested fish, I will never use heat to treat ich again! Just keep treating it and ride it out.. The guy at my lfs also put me onto a vitamin c powder to help the fish out

You lost fish because you didnt do an actual heat treatment. You have to bring it up to 30 degrees celcius or else you are speeding up the life cycle without anything to prevent the spread. In essence, not reaching the treatment temperature just made the infestation worse

@Mebbid, are you referring to just using heat as a treatment without salt or medication?

@Mebbid, are you referring to just using heat as a treatment without salt or medication?
I am referring to bot going to the full therapeutic level for heat treatment. If you dont go all the way it speed up the life cycle without preventing its spread makes the problem worse.

I did kept my temp at 86 for few days, until my heater gave up. I didn't notice any issue with the fish at that time. Now, that I bought a new heater I'll increase to 86 again and see if it works.

Im using formalin, nasty stuff, pretty sure ive destroyed the bb in my filter but 1ce ive finished treating im gunna get a 'quick start' from my lfs to aid the re cycling...

Im using formalin, nasty stuff, pretty sure ive destroyed the bb in my filter but 1ce ive finished treating im gunna get a 'quick start' from my lfs to aid the re cycling...

If you have no luck with just formalin, ich meds with formalin and malachite green are more effective. Just in case useful.

I did kept my temp at 86 for few days, until my heater gave up. I didn't notice any issue with the fish at that time. Now, that I bought a new heater I'll increase to 86 again and see if it works.

Interested if that does anything.

Can't see much on pics on iPhone. The first ray on the dorsal fin where colour changes from orange had what I thought could be an injury speck.

The tail fins I was wondering if I could see brown patches?

Otherwise all I can think of to try is a salt dip.

May be the pics are not clear. I don't see any issue with the dorsal fins. Both fishes have the specks only in the tail. If you look at the dark area in the tail just above the mid point, you can see 2 white specks. And also, I'm maintaining .3% salt along with paraguard.

I've used the fizzing Ich tablets before with success. The fact that they turn the water a different color is freaky, though.

May be the pics are not clear. I don't see any issue with the dorsal fins. Both fishes have the specks only in the tail. If you look at the dark area in the tail just above the mid point, you can see 2 white specks. And also, I'm maintaining .3% salt along with paraguard.

How are they with all that? Still ok?

Here are some more pics. Please check and let me know what you think.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Two.jpg
    Two.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Three.jpg
    Three.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Four.jpg
    Four.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 37
I am almost thinking this is a fungus if anything. It sort of looked like ich but it doesn't seem to have acted like ich at all.

I got ich at about the same time as you- a little after. I treated with heat and ich attack by kordon and I am doing the after you don't see spots treatments for like an extra week. Day 3 of no spots. Raising the temp if the meds weren't working you would have had a huge blossom of spots and also even if it was working because it has to run its course you would have seen more spots come and go fairly quickly. (Sorry if that did happen and I missed it)

I would consider switching to a fungal medication instead just to give it a try. It doesn't look as much like raised spots that are characteristic of ich.

Back
Top Bottom