Urgent help needed! Goldfish very sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cara13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This may be a long story but I URGENTLY need help!!!!!!!
I have owned two goldfish for about a year and a half now. I bought them at Walmart with a small starter tank for them and surprisingly they have been very happy and healthy for the entire time. I felt I needed to buy my goldfish a new tank and bought them a ten gallon tank, which I know is still very small for them. Both are about an inch and a half. I am saving up for a fifty gallon soon. The tank came with a Tetra Whisper Internal Filter 20i and before this point I changed the tank once a month. With the new tank I switched food brands and they seem to enjoy this new brand TetraFin better than the old one.
Anyways, I moved my two goldfish into the new tank and they obviously loved the little extra space. Even though I knew about overstocking I got suckered into all the excitement of a new tank and bought another goldfish, this time from a PET STORE. It was very small, maybe an inch. I noticed tiny white spots on his tail whenever light hit it but didn't think much of it. I added him to the tank and all seemed happy and healthy. Boy could I have never been more wrong. :nono:
A week goes by, I notice that my two original healthy goldfish are starting to get red streaks in their tail fins. I noticed the temp went up on the tank. I used the fan technique to lower the temp back down and decided that would help the red streaks. The new goldfish is completely fine, nothing looked wrong with it besides the white dots.
Then this week came. On monday, the tails of my two goldfish were red and sore and the rest of the fins on their bodies were red. Their tails were beginning to tear, just like with fin rot. I changed 40% of the tank water, put in a new filter, and bought Melafix and added that. The next day all three fish were laying low at the bottom of the tank, not swimming. I continued to add the Melafix, but the red in the two goldfish fins were beginning to get worse. The new goldfish was acting like the other two but showed no symptoms. By yesterday, after four days of using Melafix, the new goldfish was just beginning to show red in his tail fin. This morning he died and I removed him from the tank. I changed 40% of the water again after removing him.
My two original goldfish are now very, very sick. They have a white fuzz surrounding their scales and a long, thin white thread coming from their underside near the bottom fin. All of their fins are in bad damage. One goldfish stays at the bottom of the tank and the other floats at the top. They look horrible and I feel so very very extremely guilty. They have been good fish for over a year and I ruined it all by buying a new goldfish that died after two weeks and infected my whole tank. I have been administering Melafix for five days now but it seems to only be making the symptoms WORSE and I haven't fed my fish at all since beginning medication until this morning after the water change but they both seemed disinterested in the food, only nibbling at a couple of pieces. I am new to this hobby and I hope to become a great aquariam owner someday with a much bigger tank. You don't know how horribly guilty I feel. I believe they may have some sort of fungal infection, but I do not know how to correctly and quickly treat this. I just want my healthy fish back :(

Can you test the water parameters? I am assuming that you have tons of ammonia in the water. And your goldfish sound to have septicemia. They do make a medicine for that marcaryn 2 I believe. I would start be doing 50 to 75% water changes once a day. Making sure you are using properly conditioned water. Take the heater out. Goldies don't need a heater. Get an API liquid test kit ASAP. When you post water parameters then we can help you better. Good luck don't feel bad education is everything.

I never tested my water before, I guess because nothing ever seemed wrong, but after doing some research online I understand how important that is now. I will definitely go to the store today and get that. My fish are starting to swim a little but they mostly just float at the top now. And I don't have a heater, just that the tempertature of the water itself went up by about four degrees which has never happened before. Thank you for your reply!

cara13 said:
I never tested my water before, I guess because nothing ever seemed wrong, but after doing some research online I understand how important that is now. I will definitely go to the store today and get that. My fish are starting to swim a little but they mostly just float at the top now. And I don't have a heater, just that the tempertature of the water itself went up by about four degrees which has never happened before. Thank you for your reply!

Also don't change your filters until they are falling apart, they house all the benefitial bacteria that consumes the ammonia and nitrites and when you do change them stuff the new filter pad in behind the old one for a week or so that way it has time to grow the good bacteria before you remove the old one.

Well my one goldfish died. I have one left but I am dubious if he will last the night. I changed the water completely, but in the end I am kind of happy the one goldfish died because he was suffering so much and there was nothing I could do. All I know is when I start over my tank and I am going to do it right, check the water quality and cycle the tank. Thanks everyone for your help!

Oh no I'm sorry to hear that! Just make sure you are changing at least 50% of your water daily on that tank. The ammonia building up is very toxic to fish

Back
Top Bottom