Urgent help on sick goldfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a water feature outside about 420litres with 5 comets. 4 are medium sized and ones very small about 4cms. Anyway I went out to check on them this morning and the little one was gasping and floating on his side at the top. I quickly scooped him out and put him into a container with some clean water inside. He's still floating at the top on his side gasping he can manage to swim around for very short periods and not often only when he gets startled when I'm looking at him I'm guessing. What do I do I hope he's not too far gone poor baby his tail n fins seem to be torn a bit n a few missing scales I think he might have been picked on. Is there anything I can do? He won't be going back in that pond with the others if he makes it help go into my cousins bowl in my sons room only 15litres but that's as good as I can do right now. He will NOT be staying in there for long and I'll do daily water changes and get a small stick on air powered filter I wont be able to do that untill Wednesday tho when I get paid :/ if he makes it which honestly I'll be surprised if he comes out of it :( I'll get him his own tank suitable for only him. Please help! :(

Anyone? Well here's an update on him he's swimming around now in the bowl with plants and gravel still lethargic but no more floating at the top on his side. So that's positive I guess. like I said I will not keep him long term in the bowl as I know that is not appropriate for the little guy in the long run. My nearly 3 year old little boy has adopted him his name is now "Boots" hehe all you parents will know where he got that from no doubt! So Boots is in his room now. He seems to be picking up so if the little guy does make it I'll have to get him his own tank I've read 70lites is the minimum is this about right? And how long Will he be ok in his bowl doing daily water changes and getting a air powered small filter? I would love to get him an appropriate home now but money is not going to allow that at this point of time. This was an unplanned addition to our indoor fish family and there's no way I'm going to put the poor little guy back in to get bullied.

Hi! Have you checked the water parameters in your pond? What are they? Do you do water changes on it? Ponds require care & maintenance just the same as an indoor tank does. I suspect something is amiss with the water quality & it needs to be addressed promptly. The weakest fish will be the first to become ill if something is amiss. His improvement after being moved out of the pond into clean water further indcates a water quality issue. 420l is @100g- do not add anymore fish because you already beyond capacity for fish that can grow over 1ft long. Recommended stocking for pond fish is generally 5-10g per inch of fish. If you want to keep him inside, 70l (18g) is not sufficient- he will need a bigger tank (min 50g). Please ask if you have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom