urgent help with swordtail epidemic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusion

Aquarium Advice Regular
I need some help. I have a 55G tank that has 4 swordtails and about 8 more swordtail fry. In the tank with them are 2 pearl gouramis, 2 honey gold gouramis, 5 black neon tetras, 2 common plecos, 2 black mollies and 6 zebra danios. It's a planted tank that I ferilize and use CO2.

About 2 months ago, I had a dwarf gourami in it that got dropsy and died. I had a hollow ornament in the tank at the time and decided to take it out since I read that there MAY be a connection between the bacteria/viruses that cause dropsy and hollow ornaments.

Anyhow, about a week after that, my swordtails started dropping like flies. At the time, I had about 15 total swordtails (most were immature, but not fry any more). I had 11 of them die within about 2 days, and my lot of fry in the breeder went from about 25 to 8. None of the other fish showed any distress.

I had bought a UV sterilizer and ran it for a few days, in addition to about an 80% water change. Things seemed to stablize with the swordtails after that.

Well, it's started again. I had one hanging out at the bottom, and upon closer inspection, it had dropsy really bad. I put it in QT and it died this morning. The remaining adult swordtails are starting to exhibit the same symptoms at the original lot that died: exaggerated movment of their heads while they swim. and hanging out at the top or bottom of the tank. One of them keeps laying in the plants. Not on its side, just "resting".

The tank is well cycled and well filtered. It's been running for about 10 months now. Ammonia and nitrites are zero, and nitrates are so low I have to supplement them for the plants.

I'm at a loss as to how to save my swordtails or even what's wrong with them. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Do you carefully measure your fertilizers and CO2 levels? When CO2 gets too high, O2 gets too low, and fish can die from that. I know Excel overdoses can wipe out entire tanks as well.

Dropsy isn't really an illness, but rather a side effect from a fungal OR bacterial infection, or prolonged stress. Are the fish still eating? If they are, try and find a medicated antifungal or antibacterial medicated food.

You can also try adding an airstone in for added aeration, incase CO2 is to blame. Sorry to hear about the fish. :(

HTH

Back
Top Bottom