URGENT white spot/fin rot/fin cramp!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shepz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys recently all my fish have became very ill, first one got the disease and couldn't even swim, so we put him in a separate container, then we got he almost brand spanking new so we put him in with the other fish, but now they are all starting to get white spots/fungi and the comets fins are cramping! Also their fins look like their rotting and getting torn. We have treated them many times with medicine but it's not doing anythin, I have a black Moore two comets, a weather loach and a plain ordinary goldfish. The normal goldfish and weather loach look fine. Does anyone know if their is anything else I can do. I will try to look for expensive medicine as I got mine from a garden centre ( my bad ) they are in a nearly 200 litre tank and I have had them a good 4-5 years! Someone please help me I don't want them to die!

shepz said:
Hey guys recently all my fish have became very ill, first one got the disease and couldn't even swim, so we put him in a separate container, then we got he almost brand spanking new so we put him in with the other fish, but now they are all starting to get white spots/fungi and the comets fins are cramping! Also their fins look like their rotting and getting torn. We have treated them many times with medicine but it's not doing anythin, I have a black Moore two comets, a weather loach and a plain ordinary goldfish. The normal goldfish and weather loach look fine. Does anyone know if their is anything else I can do. I will try to look for expensive medicine as I got mine from a garden centre ( my bad ) they are in a nearly 200 litre tank and I have had them a good 4-5 years! Someone please help me I don't want them to die!

Hi, i am sorry about your fish. Unfortuately by the sounds of it your tank is over stocked. Fancy gold fish need 80L for the first fish and 40L for each fish after that. Unfortunately comets and commons need a pond because they can reach 2 foot long. How often do you do water changes and how much? What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH readings? Bad water quality from an over stocked tank and/or not enough water changes can bring on disease. Sometimes clean water (and sometimes salt) is all that is needed to cure fish. In more extreme cases meds will be needed. Can you post some pics of your fish so we can try diagnose their disease/s for you?

200 l is approximately 52gal. Exactly how may fish do you have? As Mumma stated, fancies need 20gals for the first fish, another 10gals for each fish after-you could only realistically stock 4 fancies in a 50gal with no other fish. The commons need to be in a pond due to their potential to grow to be 12-18inches in size. Fungus & fin rot is almost always directly related to water quality issues. What are your readings for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/ph? How are you testing (liquid or strips)? Moors in particular are very sensitive to their water and i am guessing he is one of the sick fish. Some more information will definitley help us to help you better!

Ya goldies are messy and require a lot of h2o for sure. The lifeguard may save the fishies for now. Bit they will more than likely have reaccuring issues if the stocking isn't adjusted...

So should I try treat them then look into stocking? Also this lode guard stuff, is their any of it being sold online? Thanks -

+ I'll get pictures on tonight, and I'll see if my bro could test the ph for me

shepz said:
+ I'll get pictures on tonight, and I'll see if my bro could test the ph for me

Thats a good idea but we really need to know the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings. Can you take a sample of your water to your LFS or purchase a liquid test? If you can do a water change with a dechlorinator ASAP that will help them out. IMO I would hold off on the meds until you know what your up against.

Back
Top Bottom