using salt as a treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lornajane89

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys.. my tanks not goin too well at the min, a fish is either dead or dying quite regularily, ive had a variety of symptoms diagnosed and several different conclusions, the only things ive not tried is regular use of aquarium salts.

im think ing of giving it a go, could anybody tell me if ill have a problem with any of the species in there, ive got:

Loaches
Cories
swordtails
rainbow cichlids
dwarf gourami
leopard frog plecko

ive looked online but the info is quite contradictory

thanks for any info

You should try aquarium salt to see if it helps it is good for any type of fish and it should help. Good luck

AQ Salt is not good for all types of fish please wait for someone to see your list and let you know it is ok for those types.

The loaches and cories will not tolerate salt well. I would put your effort towards righting the tank. How long has it been set up? What size? What filtration? Let's fix the root problem and then there's no need to worry about salt. ;)

lornajane89 said:
Hi guys.. my tanks not goin too well at the min, a fish is either dead or dying quite regularily, ive had a variety of symptoms diagnosed and several different conclusions, the only things ive not tried is regular use of aquarium salts.

im think ing of giving it a go, could anybody tell me if ill have a problem with any of the species in there, ive got:

Loaches
Cories
swordtails
rainbow cichlids
dwarf gourami
leopard frog plecko

ive looked online but the info is quite contradictory

thanks for any info

If I understand correctly you don't currently have fish? How big is the tank? Is it completely cycled? What are your water test results? As HN1 said lets find the root cause so when you add fish they'll have a healthy environment.

If I understand correctly you don't currently have fish? How big is the tank? Is it completely cycled? What are your water test results? As HN1 said lets find the root cause so when you add fish they'll have a healthy environment.

I would have to assume by them saying their fish are either dead or dying that they do have fish.

I would have to assume by them saying their fish are either dead or dying that they do have fish.

Well I thought that until I got to the sentence "thinking of giving it a go" & listing out all of the fish, so I was a little confused as to whether or not there were still fish. :(

hi sorry for the confusion, i have fish heres all the tank info its been running over 2 years, i have owned it for just over 12 months, Its a 45 gal tank with a 500gph built in over head filter and a fluval u2 filter i keep running in there, i have removed all carbon from the filters due to previous medicating. theres a couple of anubias and a few chunks of driftwood for decoration. ive got 2 heaters and i keep them running at about 78 degrees. params are 0.0.20 nitrates creep up to about 40 so i normally do 50%pwcs a week except when dosing the tank or doing more regulary cause of illness then usually 50% every 2-3 days

Stocking is as follows
1xctenompoma acutrostre
2 rainbow cichlids
4 cories
4 loaches
2 swordtails
1 leopard frog pleco

the stocking isnt as originally planned but fish died and others have been added over time.
I think i may have been stitched up when i bought this tank to be honest id bought it 2nd hand for a bargain price cycled (12months) with fish already in, out of which i only kept the 2 loaches and added 2 more.
because of the move the tank began a mini cycle for a few weeks but that was soon sorted, followed by a battle with nitrates which i found was down to old filter media which was changed and now is controllable
The fish that have died in my tank over the past 12 months as best as i can remember and diagnosed only through online assistance were:
1 guppys - dropsy
2 guppys - unknown
1 guppy - mystery red spot
2 julii corys - swimbladder
3 dwarf gouramis - dg disease
1 swordtail - fin rot
1 swordtail with white patches which i heard may have been columnaris...
1 neon - popeye
a few more guppys were euthanised after showing signs of illness
not all the fish listed were stocked at the same time as any of the ones listed at the top they were moved over into the tank when my guppys died... bad idea i reckon

anyways ive tried fungal and bacterial meds ive previously used salt baths for sick fish, any disease listed in the now deceased section were treated directly for the diagnosis except the neon with popeye and the dgs disease.

but now my favourite fish of all, my ctenopoma actirostre aka leopard gourami has a white pimple on his head between his eyes which in my other post has only been diagnosed with hole in the head syndrome and i honestly dont know what to do.. ive one swordtail female which i think is gonna die due to stress as her 2 girlfriends have died and my male wagtail sword keeps harrassing her, my male wagtail sword has a white lump actually in his head like a small pea maybe 3mm which doesnt stick out or anything and doesnt seem to be growing any more but i think may be a cyst or a tumour but im no vet, all the fish are active/eating and swimming around happily except my female sword who hides quite alot from the male. im hauling 40litre buckets around that much im suprised im not built like a wrestler. the only thing i havent tried is dosing the tank with salt and anything for parasites.

i am aware my stocking is pretty maxed out and to be honest until they came ill i was going to move my swordtails to another tank with my leopard frog pleco and corys but at the minute i darent move anything anywhere untill i find out and fix whats goin on.

i apologise for the rambling and i hope it all makes sense but trying to fit 12 month tank history into a post isnt that easy off the top of my head.

thanks for the posts so far i just hope some conclusion can be drawn as to whats going on, oh and please check my other post in sick fish about leopard gouramis white spot, ive had a cussing for bumping that thread but im pretty desperate to fix him asap before it gets any worse

thanks

PS - as far as feeding goes all the fish in there including the ctenopoma have tropical flake feed. my ctenopoma gets meal worms 2 or three times a week, every couple of days ill feed frozen bloodworm, daphnia, brineshrimp, cyclops. my corys get sinking pellets and hikari algae wafers. occasionally ill put in a frozen veg block or a peace of avocado or courgette for the bottom dwellers aswell. i try and mix it up a little but all my fish share everything that goes in except the bushfish who wont eat the veg but will eat flakes..

Last edited:
Aquarium salt is amazing for fin rot and to get any unwanted bugs or parasites out of your tank I usually dose my tanks once a month. If u get some pour it into a container and stir it up till all the salt is dissolved into the water then pour it in!:)

Aquarium salt is amazing for fin rot and to get any unwanted bugs or parasites out of your tank I usually dose my tanks once a month. If u get some pour it into a container and stir it up till all the salt is dissolved into the water then pour it in!:)

ive got api aquarium salt already i used it for baths in the past, i darent add it to the tank for the corys and loaches, i cant catch the loaches to move them if i wanted to take them out, id give my leopard gourami a bath but hate netting him cause of his spikes getting tangled in the net.. only done it once.. was almost a complete disaster

lornajane89 said:
ive got api aquarium salt already i used it for baths in the past, i darent add it to the tank for the corys and loaches, i cant catch the loaches to move them if i wanted to take them out, id give my leopard gourami a bath but hate netting him cause of his spikes getting tangled in the net.. only done it once.. was almost a complete disaster

Oh I just put the slat water right in the tank and let it do its business

I have used Salt every water change for years. Hasn't hurt my fish at all. I live by it. Of course make sure your stock can handle salt. To clarify I change 25% of water weekly. Good luck!

is salt gonna kill my bottom dwellers? if its not a good idea can anyone suggest another idea cause im all out. please read the big post on page 1 for all the info

It has never affected my scale-less fish. I would dose your tank. Watch levels and in a week or so start back on your pwc schedule. I add salt for amount of water I change weekly. It's tough to try and figure your problem without know extent of your tank. Long story short. I was hesitant of salt for awhile, now I wouldn't be caught without it. I seen a nitrate reading, how about ammonia,nitrite, ph levels?

right ill start working out how much i need to put in. thanks mate. ill dose the tank in a minute and see how they all are in the mornin, should i just dose per gallon or should i introduce it gradually?

Full dose shouldn't hurt, but if your skeptical do about 75%. Check your other levels as well as your tap water. Hope this helps

i think my tapwater is like 10 - 20ppm nitrates and ph 7.6 think my tank is 7.9 but i struggle with apis brown range

Tapwater nitrates are at about the ppm that you might consider using a water conditioner. Are your live plants healthy?

Back
Top Bottom