Velvet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomsan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Since my one Discus died, I got the wild idea to move one of my bigger Angels from my other tank in with this lone Discus. He seems to be hiding alot. I was thinking it was because his buddy was gone. WELL, when I moved the Angel, he never seemed right....acting sort of weird. The next morning he was floating at the top, barely breathing. Needless to say he died. I got looking at the Angel tank...and I think my big black Angel has , maybe, Velvet? He seems to have a whitish film on him. And , now he is staying at the top most of the time.

Question 1: I just added plants to both these tanks. What can I treat the Velvet with, that won't kill the plants?

Question 2: Since Velvet is contagious...do I need to treat the Discus tank also?

Question 3: If I take the plants out while treating...what do I do with them? I do have a 10 gallon I could put water in with some aquarium water.

Question 4: Could moving the Angel have shocked him or something? I have never had this happen before. Angels are pretty tough. Or, do you think he had Velvet and I just didn't see it? He was fine prior to moving him, as was the Black Angel. Both eating etc....

Angel tank has, 2 Angels, 2 plecos, 3 corys, 4 rams and 2 tetras.

Discus tank has, 1 Discus, 5 plecos, 5 corys and 2 rams.

Thanks for any info.

From what I have read apparently angels carry things that won't make them sick but do effect discus and visa versa so I think it's risky putting the two together it's unfortunate since they make such good tank mates otherwise. Maybe the shock of the move to another tank caused the angels immune system to drop and then he got sick from whatever he has now I've had otherwise seemingly healthy fish get excess body slime just from moving them from one tank to another.. Sucks ur discus died:(

Thanks ....I have started a treatment of CopperSafe. I only have one plant in this aquarium, so, if it dies I am not out much. I am going to do a large water change tonight and then add some CopperSafe back in.

Well it appears the whitish film is going away! I am going to continue with the CopperSafe for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom