Velvet..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I do believe my fish have velvet...Now what do I do? I read the salt/heat/black out method....but I have plants? Should I transfer all the fish to another tank and do a black out there so my plants arent affected? But then how do I eradicate it from the planted tank? Will it go away without fish in there or am I going to have to tear it down and clean it all? :/ Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Also just so you know whats in the tank : loaches, otos, mollies, snails, rasboras, and tetras.

I had a Betta with velvet an when I moved him to his new tank I used meds(Quick Cure)

Velvet is from poor water, do a pwc of around 40% and wait a day, you could turn off your lights as well, the plants will be ok for a while.

If it doesn't get at least a tad better with the water change I would say pull the fish that have it an treat in a qt tank, watch your scaleless fish tho, a lot of meds are really bad for them

A lot have had luck with just water changes clearing it up also no meds with the snails in the same tank, also if you pick salt watch your snails very carefully, they can handle a very little, but mostly it's bad for them

Well I do 2 water changes a week. But I didnt qt a fish before I put it in so I figure thats where it came from...I know I know...So basically I cant do anything other than do water changes? I dont know if snails can carry velvet or if they can get it but what if I put them elsewhere while treating the fish? Ah I just dont even know what to do...I will keep doing water changes and see if it helps but so far its not helping :/

Well after a million and one water changes...Still not a single sign of improvement...I am going to try adding salt and turning off the lights...dont know if it will help or not but I guess I have no other suggestions :/

Back
Top Bottom