Very fat betta - nothing is working!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freshie In Disguise

Aquarium Advice Activist
I posted a while ago about my female betta, Jewel. Found out that she is a he (half-moon plakat) so definitely not gravid. Julius is terribly bloated, symmetrical, with no raised scales at all. He is living in isolation with constant epsom salts and water changes, eating only peas (fed very sparingly) and I am seeing zero improvement. The belly isn't growing, but it certainly isn't shrinking either. I can't keep him in this crappy living situation forever but I can't let him explode either. I don't have the slightest idea of what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the delay, my internet has been down for days. Can you recommend a good diagnostic site with photos? (I cannot find one) What specific medications can you recommend? All fish meds need to be ordered through the pet store here. All they stock is melafix. He is pooping just fine for what he is eating, but the belly is still enourmous and I doubt I can find a fish vet or anything similar.

:( Sorry again... It is my internet connection. It doesn't hook up every day, and when it does, it doesn't generally stay connected for long...

He's been like this since I bought him (from Walmart). Probably 2 months.
No tank mates at all. He never left QT due to his condition.
Zero on everything, it is a small, plain tank with only gravel and one fake coral.
He was only eating peas for a while, but I'm afraid that will kill him if I keep it up forever, so he is getting one betta pellet one day, and one pea fragment the next day (back and forth). He is a picky eater.

Back
Top Bottom