Very Red gills in fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wishbone

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings AA readers, I hate that one of my first posts is asking for help on sick fish, but I've spent countless hours reading the archives and wanted to make sure I was heading down the right path. Since all my parameters are normal the only other guess I had was a parasite (based on what I've read here on AA). So I'm currently treating the tank with parasite clear. My hardness and pH seem to be rather high? Is it possible that could effect them in this way?

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

The symptoms I'm seeing are very red gills. It seems the redness is behind the gills and not on the surface. This is currently effecting 1/3 of my clown loaches and 2/4 swordtails. One of the swordtails has lost a LOT of weight and appears to be rather thin. He was at the surface for awhile and breathing heavily, but has recently perked up and starting acting normal again. It hasn't effected the tetras I have in the tank that I can tell. I haven't noticed white stringy waste at all, but I haven't seen the fish do that in awhile.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

NH3 - 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 0
temp - 78.7F
pH - 7.9

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

It's a 110g and is a new tank around 2 months old.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.

Two fluval 404s

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are there current sizes?

3 clown loaches (3in) , 4 pineapple swordtails (2in), 6 red eye tetras (1in)

6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

every two weeks I do a 25%. I recently did a 25% last sunday

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

The tetras and swords have been there since day one (before this site I'd never heard of fishless cycling). The clown loaches are a newer addition. (one week)

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

no.

9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

Flakes and shrimp pellets for the loaches once a day.

Hi wishbone. It's just my guess that you're on the right track. I don't think you can do anything more except wait and see if the med is effective.

Ok Brian, thank you! I'll report back here for what I see so the archives can have more information. I really do appreciate this site!

Menagerie said:
My hardness and pH seem to be rather high?
That pH is not high, the fish should not be affected by that.

Did this just show up with the addition of the loaches?

Well the swordtails developed it first, then I noticed some red gill action on one of the loaches. It happened after I put the loaches in though.

Back
Top Bottom