Very Sick Betta Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rbarre

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a betta fish named Jack. I love him so much. He used to live in a 1.5 gallon tank, and about 3 months ago I upgraded him to a 3 gallon tank. I did it because I wanted him to have room to swim around, he seemed lethargic and to be able to get a heater where I could better regulate the temperature in his tank.

He’s had this spot on the side of him for about 2 months. He lays in the gravel a lot, but swims up to eat when food is put in. I’ve put antifungal treatment in his tank, and I fed him pees for a week (two weeks ago) because I thought the issue is that he might be constepated.

He is still not well, and I’m hoping someone will know what may be going on with him based on his picture. Not sure if it’s ick...fungal or beyond my help.

I’ve had him for 3 years, and I change his water regularly. If anyone can please help me save him I would greatly appreciate it.

I’ve attached pictures of him and the medicine I used.

Attachments

• C964D0E9-84F5-4805-844E-95057D2DE820.jpg
    C964D0E9-84F5-4805-844E-95057D2DE820.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 66
  • C056B879-99D5-40F6-8B44-E6E52D2CBAA4.jpg
    C056B879-99D5-40F6-8B44-E6E52D2CBAA4.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 67
  • D7CAB8F1-D005-4108-9D3D-56B331CD4D78.jpg
    D7CAB8F1-D005-4108-9D3D-56B331CD4D78.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 8019FA93-9031-4427-AD77-1E7239F367A3.jpg
    8019FA93-9031-4427-AD77-1E7239F367A3.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 63
Looks like severe fin rot.... maybe body rot starting. Start by keeping the water clean. Change 50% of the water every 3 days. Use a heater in the tank and keep it at 78-80 degrees. Use a small water filter. Use Seachem Prime for your water conditioner. I think your fish will need a medication such as erythromycin. I know there are people on this site who have alot of knowledge on treating bettas for disease.

Your gonna need alot more than that to try and save him. This is pretty bad fin and body rot. Here's something for you to read up on! I made it easier for you by clipping it out and posting. Please take the time to read it . If you don't you will lose himDISEASE: ADVANCED FIN AND BODY ROT*

uGENERAL INFO:*

This disease starts as a regular fin rot, but the rot progresses quite rapidly and is harder to stop. Soon no fins are left as all tissues have been eaten away. Then the rot proceeds to attack the body. Not a pretty picture.

close up of a tail and fins that are being eaten away by the advanced rot, you can see the top dorsal is almost all gone and the bacteria is getting ready to attack the body now.

uSYMPTOMS:**

Fins and or tail start rotting away, usually starting from the edge, but sometimes it starts at the base of the fin (especially dorsal) and attacks the body directly. Diseases progresses rapidly and as the tissues are being eaten away, you might see the fins bones stick out (yuk). Once fins have been consumed, rot will proceed onto the body. At this stage the disease is hard to reverse although the betta might continue to live for months if treated properly. If not treated, it will die promptly (and probably suffers quite a bit :(( ).

uTREATMENT:**

Do a full jar water change. Preferably provide a new jar. You must combine several medications to have a chance to stop this thing. Use Ampicillin and double the dose if needed, and use at the same time tetracycline (included in our*Betta First Aid Kit). These medications usually come in capsules. A full capsule usually treats 10 gal of water. So for a 1/2 gallon of water, open the capsule and take the right proportion of powder and sprinkle on jar water. You may steer gently with a disposable plastic spoon. Tetracycline might turn the color of the water to a dark yellow or red. Overmedicating a little might help! Change water every third day and add a new dose of same medication. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth. It may take up to 4 weeks to work, so don’t give up. Once healing starts you should treat for one more week to be sure. Then you can ease up on the heavy medication and switch to BettaZing*(included in our*Betta First Aid Kit), which will prevent the bacteria from multiplying again. Change jar and sanitize old jar every week until healed.*

Seconded everything said before but also, while treating this I would cut down feeding by a lot. The fin/body rot and water quality issues are WAY more likely to finish off your betta than a few days of fasting. And limiting food can help you improve the water quality faster.

If you don’t have test kits you should take a water sample to a fish store for testing to figure out how bad the water quality issue may be so you know what you are dealing with.

Yeah that guy is in really bad shape. Definitely get some tetracycline in there fast and make sure your water quality is good. You should have an API master test kit on hand to test your parameters. Your water needs to pristine if you are going to have any chance at saving him. Kanaplex may also be an option if you can't get the tetracycline.

Back
Top Bottom