Very Sick Black Moor 911

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harleyh88

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank Size: 3 Gallons (Three plastic plants, gravel)
Undergravel filter.
Tank Occupants: Black Moor Goldfish(Shannon), Orange Fantail(Ray)
Residence: Dorm Room in Springfield, MO

I've had my black moor since August of last year. He was perfectly healthy for a long time. I got him his tank mate in September. This fish was and still is in excellent shape. Back in February I experienced an issue with Popeye in my black moor. I was told to treat it with an antibiotic powder that goes in the water. That stopped the problem and the fish was fine. Now just recently the popeye has come back and is so bad that the poor black moor is blind. I went back to using the antibiotic but it hasn't seemed to help. I thought he had dropsy because his scales were pineconing out but that has resolved. His mouth looks like it has shrunk and because of this he cannot properly eat the regular food. I put in some feeders because I'm leaving to go out of town tomorrow, I also thought that it would allow him to eat. Unfortunately, Shannon can't see the feeders to know they're there and eat. He is less active than usual, isn't eating, and it looks as if he's lost some weight. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.
Harley

It's a 3G tank with 3 goldfish. That's your problem right there.

How big are they?

What's your water changing schedule?

Theyre very small each maybe a little over an inch in length. I clean the tank about every two weeks. Thougn's sometimes later. I keep half of the original watee during a cleaning

Hi harley
I am so sorry to hear about your sick moor. Goldfish in general have specific needs as far as tank size and water quality. A rule of thumb for fancy goldfish is 20 gallons for the first fish and 10 gallons for each additional. I did not know this when starting out either. They are very messy little fellows and require pwcs weekly of at least 50%. With you having them in such a small home their ammonia levels are probably getting pretty high quickly. I would suggest you start doing 80% water changes every day and add aquarium salt. It is typically one tablespoon per 5 gallons. So i am not quite sure what your ratio would be in a three gallon. I am sure others will chime in who are more experienced. His water quality is going to play a big factor in healing right now. My second guess here is that your filter may not be sufficient.

Water quality is your biggest issue. Two fancies need atleast a 30g tank with heavy filtration. I would suggest checking out craigslist for some inexpensive deals. The best you can do for now is to change their water daily with properly conditioned, temperature matched water. I would honestly change most or all of their water.

The moor needs medicated food (assuming he is still eating). You probably can find Jungle Anti-bacterial med food at Petsmart though Medi-Gold from The Goldfish Connection is a much better choice. Moors eyes are very sensitive to their water conditions & are easily damaged from toxic levels of ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. The best you can do for now is to keep their water healthy & work on upgrading their home. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!

Living in a college dorm makes in difficult to have anything huge. Our aquariums can be no larger than 10 gallons. I'm out of town now. I changed the water before I left. I return on Monday. I hope my dear fish is still there. My roommates will be back on Sunday to let me know. And as for the medicated food that wouldn't work because he can't eat anymore. Thanks for the advice everyone. i'll definitely do what I can. I'm getting an apartment for the summer so I'll probably upgrade my tank bigger, but i'll have to downsize when school starts again. Keep the info coming. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom