Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
eah
Aquarium Advice Freak

very sick cory - advice please

Hello everyone,

I just discovered that one of my cories is very sick. The tank is a 55 gallon and there are four other perfectly healthy cories in there and a pleco (also some tetras and other fish). The tank is not overstocked and I believe I am at zero for ammonia and nitrite and around 20 - 30 ppm for nitrate. I am checking the water in just a minute to confirm.

I've had this guy for about two months and never had a problem. I ran into the computer room to ask for your help and am filling up my spare 10 gallon to use as a hospital tank. I am almost certain he is beyond saving but I would like to try. He is lying on his side on the bottom of the tank. He looks dead however you can see some gill movements and when I tried to scoop him out (before realizing he was still alive) he wiggled a little.

I am going to put him in my 10 gallon tank using water from the 55. I have a spare filter running on the 55 just for problems like this so I will put that in the tank too. Please advise as to what I should do to treat him. Would photos help? I have pimafix, melafix, "fungus clear" and "parasite clear" on hand. All other fish look perfectly healthy. The temp is about 77 f.

I will be back in a minute with updated water parameters. Please help!

Edited to add:

Okay, the water parameters are what I thought - 0 ppm for both Nitrite and Ammonia and about 20 ppm for Nitrate. The PH is about 7.0. These parameters have not changed recently and it's been about one week since I did my last partial water change (35% or so).

This guy looks awful! Just lying on his side with his fins stuck out. He is a peppered cory and I've had him, as I said above, for a few months. The tank was set up in July and I haven't had any problems with any fish until today. Nothing new has been added to the tank recently. There are two HOB filters in there -- one is rated for a 75 gallon tank, the other for a 30 gallon tank. His tankmates are as follows:

4 other peppered cories
1 blue gourami
10 serpae tetras (they keep to themselves)
1 rubberlip pleco
1 (docile) male betta fish

Old 09-21-2006, 11:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Does he have any visible signs other than the lethargy? White areas, red areas, swollen anywhere? Has he been eating and pooing normally for the last few days?

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
eah
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sadly, he just died. I don't think there was anything I could have done because by the time I noticed him this afternoon he was really far gone.

He did not have any swollen or red areas that I could see. I did see one small spot on him near one of his fins -- I don't think it was ich though. I did a pwc on my 55 gallon tank and a good gravel vac, so hopefully everyone else will be okay. The other cories (and other fish) all seem to be acting normally.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Sorry to hear about your loss. Sometimes death occurs in fish and we don't know why.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cory, ick, sick, sick cory

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com