Very special angels not doing well, please help me save them!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garbro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a breeder pair of angels I have had for a while and am very attached to them. I did a cleaning on the 95 gallon wave tank they are in. I must have cleaned the filter media too heavily because I put them through a mini cycle :/

I did 25%-40% changes daily, and two a day until the ammonia got down below 0.25. They are pretty much out of the cycle. The cycle lasted maybe 3 days. During the night in-between my heavy water cycles I was using Nox-Ich. Just today I started dosing with melafix and have read that it probably won't help...\
Cranked up their heaters as well.

The angels aren't eating, being lethargic, and I feel like they have a thin pale coating on them. Just this evening one of the angels' tall fins are showing symptoms of fin rot. I will keep dosing with Nox-Ich, but should I continue with the malefix? Are they ok to dose together.

Any advice?

Hardware/Tank

95 Gallon Freshwater Community
Aqueon Quietflow 55/75
Marineland 350
x2 5/10 Gallon sponge filters
Lightly Planted
Current LED Satellite Pro + 48"

Parameters

Ammonia <0.25 ppm (tail end of mini cycle)
Nitrite 0.00 ppm
Nitrate 10.00 ppm
pH 8.2

Stock

x2 1 year old angels
x6 Rainbowfish mixed
x4 Denison Barbs
x7 Neon tetras
x2 neo cats:(
x1 Sailfin Molly

If the only fish that are suffering are the Angels, the best advice I can give is to put them into a 10 gal hospital tank ( bare, nothing in it but an airstone) with some PRIME to help increase slime and also treat with Furan-2 to work on the fin rot. Use as directed. Discontinue the Nox-Ich as this is not a parasite issue but a bacteria issue. It's not doing anything for this.

If all the fish are effected with fin & tail rot or other diseases, you would be wise to medicate them all in a separate tank as some of the medicines can effect the biological filter so you don't want to treat the whole main tank. Some may also effect the plants. If all will not fit in tanks you have available, you can use several 5 gal buckets with just airstones instead. At this point, clean water is more important than the cycled tank. Medication is a better approach than Malefix.

Hope this helps (y)

I will do that tomorrow after work! So no gravel, light, filter or anything? I'd be worried about their stress levels in there.

I will do that tomorrow after work! So no gravel, light, filter or anything? I'd be worried about their stress levels in there.

Here's the thing: The fish are already stressed which is why they are breaking down. Using clean water actually helps reduce the stress. With the PRIME, it will also keep any ammonia buildup from being toxic ( use as directed) which will reduce the stress. The antibiotics will tell you when to change water and how much to change in order to maintain a thearopeutic level of the medicine in the water to help reduce the stress on the fish. Keeping the fish quiet, in a hospital tank, also helps reduce the stress. Obviously there are no guarantees as with any sick fish but if done properly, medicating fish will save them more than hurt them.(y)

I took another look at what you listed and I see you are using 2 small sponge filters in a 95 gal tank. This is really not enough and the probable cause of the problem. I suggest you upgrade to a larger sponge filter ( 2 or more actually) so that when it comes time to clean, you can clean a different filter at each tank cleaning. This will allow for a bacteria bed to be intact when you do maintenance on the other.

Hope this helps. (y)

Thanks for the advice all. I lost the fish the following morning :(

Now one of the denisons is showing the same symptoms. Treat the whole tank or isolate the ones that start show symptoms?

Thanks for the advice all. I lost the fish the following morning :(

Now one of the denisons is showing the same symptoms. Treat the whole tank or isolate the ones that start show symptoms?
Sorry to hear about the Angels.
I'd pull all the fish and treat them with the Furan-2 outside the main tank. Leave no fish in the main tank so that any disease in there has no host. In time, all tanks recover. The question becomes just how long. If you have no patience, I'd strip down the main tank and restart. Obviously, whatever you have in there is now contagious. Get the larger sponge filters as well. (y)

Are you using Kanamycin/Furan green together?
That stuff is 15 dollars a tiny tube....DO NOT dump that in the main tank. Get a bare bottom ten or twenty (or even a plastic tub) with a sponge and heater set it up put a tablet of furan and 2 scoopfuls of kanamycin
use one of those already seeded sponges.

Back
Top Bottom