Very unhappy plec and phantom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_Baker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 42 gallon Tetra tank with a yellow plec that went in 10 days ago, along with 10 neons, two of the neons died with in two days of introduction I assume shock. The tank has been set up for about 8 weeks and all the water quality checks are good. I am changing 10% of water a week to keep things fresh.

The Plec is lying on the bottom most unhappy but looks perfect, he rolled over earlier not convinced he will make it through the night :cry:

One of the 5 Phantom Tetras has lost all his colour almost appears to have thin white film over him one of the others on close inspection has a tiny whit spot by his dorsal but seem happy. Does the dreaded ich show itself with these other symptoms?
HELP

Bad news the plec never made it lost him while typing the post but now really worried about the rest of the tank

Hiya Dave and welcome to Aquariumadvice.

Urk. Not sure about ich if theres only one spot. Does it look more like a pimple or a grain of salt? My off the cuff guess is columnaris. The thin white film (and white pimples) are signs. It can also kill very quickly. But before I say for sure, what are your water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrates)? Ammonia can also cause skin issues as well as kill fish. Do check them and let us know. In the meantime, also check out this link about columnaris: http://www.aquamaniacs.net/flex.html

I'm guessing the fish weren't quarantined? Just for future reference, perchance they weren't, grab a cheap 10g and a heater n filter; it will save you heartache in the future if you QT new fish for at least 2 weeks.

Aww, and I'm sorry about the plec :( That sucks.

Update

Thanks for the advice guys printed the article off and will pour over that now. I think a trip with the unhappy to the local fish shop from whence he came may be called for this morning. Will post water test results later, must do some work to earn a crust.

Back
Top Bottom