Very Urgent! Please reply with any help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natty_Bear

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I made a post a few hours back about a rampant ich outbreak in my tank, and it seems in those few hours its gotten 10 times as bad. The two that are mainly affected, two male guppies, are resting on the gravel and not moving much, and one of them is floating with his nose pointing up and just hovering, then snapping back into reality it seems. Incase it was that bladder thing, I fed the two some peas, because they are both kind of doing it.

parameters are
PH 7.8
NH3 .5
NO2 0
NO3 5ppm
87/88 Degrees F

its uncycled and Ive tried EVERYTHING but medication to help them, im at a loss. Anyone know if there is a quick, (relativly speaking), way to handle this?

Your ammonia levels are high and at that temperature it will be more toxic to fish. I don't know if you hit that temperature gradually. If not, also that maybe stressed your fish. I suggest you %50 water change with same temperature water. Salt bath is also very effective to fish

The ich is probably a secondary infection from new tank syndrome. (uncycled tank) If I were you, I would perform 50% water changes daily for two weeks.

Elevating the temperature is supposed to help treating ich, but it also decreases the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water which will slow the cycling process and weaken your fishies. As long as you have the temperature elevated please consider increasing the rate by which you oxygenate the water.

The ich is probably a secondary infection from new tank syndrome. (uncycled tank) If I were you, I would perform 50% water changes daily for two weeks.

Elevating the temperature is supposed to help treating ich, but it also decreases the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water which will slow the cycling process and weaken your fishies. As long as you have the temperature elevated please consider increasing the rate by which you oxygenate the water.

I have done a ~25% water change today, Ill continue that for a a few days to reduce the number of swimming parasites. I also have an airstone in the tank and a few plants. Do you think it would be beneficial to me to use the API safe tank starter to start the nitrogen cycle to help with NH3?

I have done a ~25% water change today, Ill continue that for a a few days to reduce the number of swimming parasites. I also have an airstone in the tank and a few plants. Do you think it would be beneficial to me to use the API safe tank starter to start the nitrogen cycle to help with NH3?

I've never used aquarium starters, but it sounds like a good route for you. If you use a starter, follow their prescribed water change schedule.

Tetra safe start is the only bacteria in a bottle that's worth anything.

After 10 days at 86f the ich should be getting better. If it's not you either have a heat resistant strain, or your thermometer is wrong. Treating ich with meds isn't the worst idea. Ich meds won't affect your cycle, but most will stain your silicone and some decor. If you do decide to med I'd lower your temp some, 80ish would be good.

Having your tank cycled isn't going to cure ich. Once it's established you have to kill it.

I'd do high heat (I keep mine at 88) and plenty of water changes. I find that most ich IMPE is more resistant to meds than heat. it gets a little worse before it gets better some times

Ich meds won't affect your cycle, but most will stain your silicone and some decor. If you do decide to med I'd lower your temp some, 80ish would be good.

The decor I have is already stained green from the API fungus treatment, had some fungal fin rot while the ich was present so I couldent do any water changes unfortunately. If after 10ish days its not clearing up any, what ich med do you recommend?

Back
Top Bottom