Wart, tumor or cyst

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I think my female black widow tetra has either warts, tumors or cysts under it's skin at the end of its body near its tail.

I have had it in a hospital tank for over a week, and treated it with two different types of antibiotics (Maracyn Plus, and Kanacyn), with a water change in between.

Nothing seems to have changed, and the fish has not eaten since it's been in the hospital tank. It has been swimming fine and always looked otherwise healthy. I don't know if it stopped eating because it was separated from its male companion in a community tank, but it is almost as if it has lost any awareness of food.

Do you think I should put it back in the community tank? I am worried that it will not last much longer not eating and has probably endured enough with the treatments and isolation. On the other hand, I don't know whether the cause of the warts, cysts or tumors could affect other fish.

Thanks.

Hi there. Sorry I can't really help with whatever it is that your tetra has. In response to your question about putting her back in the community tank, I don't think I would. Not until you know what it is she has, and if it's contagious or not. You wouldn't want all your other fish to come down with the same thing.

The only thing I can think of is to keep an eye on her and keep her water as clean as possible.

Good luck, and I hope she eats soon!

Thanks. I have read that many tumors are benign and non-contagious, and the fish can live with them for quite a long time. It tempts me to put her back.

Yeah, its a tough call. If the fish was eating, and the only sign of a prob was the tumor I'd say return it, but because there are other signs of illness I'd keep it isolated for longer. Better to lose one fish then all of em (which is horrible I know); without knowing why shes having problems returning her is really taking a chance.

Back
Top Bottom