Water changes with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gzeiger

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I just picked up half a dozen wild mollies from a nasty, turbid, eutrophic ditch at the edge of a construction site, and they have a terrible case of ich. I'm fairly surprised they're still alive. I'm not sure what happened in the ditch, but I threw back one that had algae growing from a wound in the back of its head. These fish are worse off than most feeders I've seen.

Somehow they're all acting happy now though.

Since they were only living in 3-5 inches of water on a sunny day in South Carolina I was able to get them on the heat plan quickly. Their water is now a toasty 87 F. Problem is the water that comes out of my tap is only about 50 F, and my house is a shade under 70. I only have one heater, which complicates the process of temperature matching. What is the recommended procedure for changing water in a case like this?

I would fill a couple of buckets and pick up a second heater to heat the water. It's the only way since your tap water is not warm enough.

Almost 90% of the white spots are gone today. That's remarkable.

Never heard of ich going away that quickly. Not sure at all if it was or wasn't ich, as they were wild caught anything is possible.

Back
Top Bottom