Water quality help needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbush

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Been fighting reoccurring fin rot in my 56 gallon column tank. Any thoughts on how to improve my water quality. All readings are great but trates are high.

What are your exact readings? Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? Are you sure its fin rot? Are all of the fish affected or just a certain one? Can you post a pic? How long has this been going on & what have you tried other than clean water? Sorry for all of the questions just trying to narrow it down a little more.

Nitrites 0. Ammonia 0. Ph 8. Nitrates hard to read but over 40. Tap is the same but trates are under 40.

This has been going on for a while. 6 months maybe. I have lost 6 cories.

I am not sure it is fin rot. I have treated with antibiotics.

Not all fish are affected. Just ram and Plecostamus now.

Plecostamus side flippers and tail have holes and tears.

image-1702748452.jpg

Do you think algae could be the problem?

I'm wondering if you have an overly aggressive fish that may be bullying/nipping the others. Are your nitrates always at 40 or does it take a while for them to get there? You do weekly 50% +/- water changes? I would throw in another water change or two to bring down the nitrates to <20 if possible. Fin rot is usually kept at bay or will go away with normal weekly water changes. What is the full stocking of the tank? Sorry, it just seems you're pretty much doing everything I would normally suggest for fin rot so I'm trying to come up with some ideas.

Just recently started taking better care of it. I'm in law school and teach as well. Oh yeah and have a one year old. Tank gets neglected during the school year. Only aggressive fish is a syno cat, but he stays in his log during the day. I guess I just need to keep the water super clean and see what happens.

I will test water again.

Back
Top Bottom